my 06 cts wont start or crank key stuck in ignition

20

Asked by Apr 03, 2015 at 02:49 PM about the 2006 Cadillac CTS

330

Could be the steering wheel in wrong position causing key being stuck in ignition and gearshift also in wrong position to allow engine starting/cranking. Try moving steering wheel back and forth while trying to turn and remove key. If key can be removed then try moving gear selector to Park position and try starting again.

20

yea did all that and still the same result wont start wont crank has plenty of juice

330

Maybe the starter relay is bad or battery cables corroded or loose. The key stuck in ignition still indicates steering wheel lock problem.

79,205

Sounds like a dead battery. The key won't release because there's a solenoid that must have power to release the key. With a dead or disconnected battery the key won't come out. .HTH. -Jim

50

This just happened to me curious to see what happened to other people it drained the battery totally and also it kept saying all day Phone not available . I got in some major shit about this . I checked lights they worked everything but never came to a conclusion.

455

The key stuck in the ignition is either a bad lock cylinder or more than likely a bad ECM. I have the same problem but replaced the lock cylinder and new key, that changed nothing. If your Anti Theft light is on and traction control, no gas gauge nor temp gauge, ECM. More and more will quit working or go crazy in time until there is no power anywhere.

20

Take the cover off the wheel its a screw pull out on it and key will turn back and come out I just did it cuz I took my battery out and my key got stuck

79,205

Well, johnny3323, you're the one who's responding to a thread that's a year old! I'm sure the original poster got their Cadillac fixed awhile ago! -Jim

10

helpful

To remove you stuck key. Remove your steering wheel plastic covers. When bottom cover is fully removed. You should see a silver/platinum circle that is screwed under the key lock and it has a small silver little thin plate under it. Stick 2 pennies in between the silver little plate and the circle and that should release your key and it will also keep it from getting stuck. You can now remove it normally has a temporary fixture untill you replace your key lock. Hope this helps. This worked great for my 07 cts.

10

Take off the battery cable, leave the ignition switch on the on position for 30 seconds to a minute, then reconnect the battery. It should work because most times this means the car went on lock as if someone was trying to break in and alarm locked it. Before you do any of this, lock your doors and try to press alarm on the control and if the alarm don't work, do what I said. The same thing happened to my cts as well.

30

To remove a key from the cylinder. If you look under the steering wheel collar. There is a small hole. All you have to do is stick a sharp pointed like oject straight in the hole and at the same time. Pull up in hole and turn key forward then back and it will come out. Anytime going into. "Antilock". To start. Remove fuse cover from engine compartment. Remove starter relay fuse and turn key to start position. Then place wire or paper clip between starter reply.

30

FYI: I learn that 05-08 Cadillac CTS. They have parasitic. Check: Over head lamp, glove box, doors, cd player etc. It will drank your battery. Not enough cranking amps. Will automatically go into Antilock.