Why does this car spit gas?

Asked by Aug 18, 2014 at 12:03 AM about the 1979 Toyota Corona

My grandson's car is a 1979 Toyota corona. Today we filled up the gas take and on his way home gas was squirting out of the gas cap , once the cap was opened gas continued to flow out? What would cause this? He has had the problem of it not starting at times after he has driven it even just a short distance. Could these issues be related?

97,005

Fuel tank vent not working or vent lines damaged somewhere from tank to vapor control canister. Yes they can be related.

Thank you for the quick reply. I hope we find a mechanic that can fix this issue.

97,005

Find a good independent shop, no need spending big bucks at a dealer. This little car is a fairly straight forward little rig, electronics are simple, just a bunch of vacuum lines.

110

Nice car, unfortunately the one I had never had an issue so can't relate . Good luck, that car has never been this old before and when you find out the problem, you can let all the other owners the fix. Good luck!

Finding the good, honest mechanic will be the challenge. Thanks

97,005

Do a local search in your area on the internet, some shops should come up, check the reviews, how long they have been in business, are they a certified shop or not, who their part suppliers are ie NAPA, CAR QUEST, etc.

34,655

Just for grins and giggles buy a new gas cap. MAYBE just MAYBE that's the problem.

A new thermostat or a new gas cap did not fix the problem. It will be checked at a mechanic shop tomorrow.

The corona in shop all day yesterday and still there, mechanics can not find the problem???

97,005

Have they tried pressurizing the tank with CO2? That should make the venting system to operate or show there is a problem.

They drove the corona and it wouldn't start , found gas leaking into carburetor and still need to figure out what is wrong. So a 3rd day in the shop for diagnosis.

I did ask about pressuring the tank as suggested above but no reply yet.

97,005

This shouldn't be that hard to figure out, 1979 is old but the basic emissions is simple, I think they are eventually going to find a plugged fuel vent house or an inoperative fuel tank vent valve in the top of the tank.

I don't understand why it takes this long to diagnose. thanks for the info. Do you have an idea of the cost of those problems you mentioned? I have had bad experience in the past with mechanics and have a trust issue w/them. Not this co though they have good reviews.

97,005

Sorry I have no idea what it would cost, I don't believe the parts will be very expensive, it's the labor that will be the killer.

thanks much

A week ago Monday we took the corona into the shop, on Wednesday we received the diagnosis that the carb needs rebuilt as gas from gas line is leaking into it and causing to flood $250 on Friday they said the gas pedal was putting gas into the carb and they need to take carb apart and rebuild again. As of today the car still has the same starting issue. Now they say it needs a new carb and they ordered it and expect it to arrive Friday $650.00 They can't find anything else wrong.

34,655

I feel bad for you. This is becoming a money pit.

97,005

I have never heard of a old Toyota carb doing that, the needle and seat can go bad and cause that problem but those should still be available aftermarket. Have them show you why they are condemning the carb. Sounds funny to me.

34,655

T.S. is right. Are you SURE that you are conveying the information correctly? None of this makes any sense.

This how I understand what they say. a half hour after speaking with the mechanic telling me that they cant figure it out the boss called and said it needs a new carb. when it gets hot it wont start without flooding out leaking gas into the carb. I will have a man go talk to them. Thanks. I am frustrated because it doesn't make since .Thanks

34,655

Hold off on having the carb replaced. Let someone who knows what the he'll they are looking at. I have a feeling that the shop is just throwing parts at it in hope's of finding the problem. And your paying for it. I'm going to try to be polite here. Some shops are like lady's of the evening. I'm sure that you get the picture. Keep us informed.

34,655

Remember, this car is old enough to vote,drink and hold the highest office in the land. If it's going to be a continuous problem AKA a money pit, it might be time to cut your losses. :(

The Corona is now running strong & smooth without any probs. I was told the carburetor was flooding and was too old to be rebuilt after they rebuilt it twice. It needed a new carb. $642.00 total and 9 days. 2hrs labor and $440.00 for part.

34,655

Congratulations! You're good for another 30 years of service. I'm very happy that you have the car back.