My speedometer is stuck at 45 mph, what can I do to fix this so my speedometer works again

10

Asked by Feb 07, 2015 at 08:04 AM about the 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais

31,455

Either take out the speedometer assembly and send it to a speedometer repair shop or replace it with a used unit from a salvage yard.

Best Answer
10

So are u saying that the speedometer is no good cause I really don't know how long it has been like this I bought the car a few months ago after it had sit for 13 years and it was like this is there no way it might be the speed sensor is bad?

31,455

Yes, if it is stuck at 45 all the time there is something mechanically wrong with the speedometer.

10

K thank u do u know anything bout heaters in a car cause when I first got the car when I would turn the heater on it would rattle extremely loud but still worked perfect for a few weeks of use but then one day the rattle stopped and the heater hasn't worked since

210,335

Might be that the water pump impeller broke. Sounds like the car needs a little TLC. Have a mechanic look it over for you if your concerned.

10

That's what I plan to do I'm just trying to get an idea on what I'm getting myself into lol my cars lucky I love classics

10

Could it possibly be that the blower motor has went out

31,455

Rattling heater was probably the blower motor and it likely has gone bad now. Like Tom said, have a mechanic give it a good looking over.

10

Thanks