74 Scamp that stalls when coming to a stop or at a full stop

120

Asked by Apr 15, 2013 at 11:11 AM about the 1974 Plymouth Scamp

I have a 74 scamp that constantly stalls out when coming to a stop, at a stop, or accelerating from a
full
stop.  She didn't do this a month ago when I bought it.  Small oil leak, and will definitely stall if she
doesn't have any, but it's checked daily b/c I learned the hard way.  Any suggestions on what the
issue
might be and how to resolve it?

Has this got the famous slant-6 235?

120

Its got a slant-6, 225.

Have you looked at the oil level and color. Each time I've seen a catastrophic failure on these it was because the oil was never changed and neglected, slant 6's have a reputation for being bulletproof, but this doesn't mean you can fail to put new oil in there~

I was going to suggest hauntingly low oil pressure, but would flicker 'oil' light would come on and flash at you~

120

Good question. the guy who sold it to me said he changed it, but that doesn't mean he was being truthful. Odd question, but can you tell me if places like jiffy lube will do an oil change on an old car like this; I recently moved, and don't have tools to change it up. :0/

120

no oil pressure light flickering...

120

I am being diligent about putting oil in her; usually about once every couple weeks she gets a couple quarts

this was before "the dark years" of Chrysler, just wish someone had put fuel injection and solid-state ignition...wait, you've got one of those fully encapsulated ignition units there? so spark couldn't be the problem, solid state ignition means no points so you've already started on a good note~

Is it puffin' white and floodin'? Chrysler carburetors are infamous, don't quite know why...do you suspect there's a needle and seat issue with the carb?

120

no spark isn't the problem, so thats good. when she stalls out, i have to start her back up and keep it in park until the light changes green then pop it into drive and go...

120

Nope, no white smoke and yes, it does flood sometimes. I'm not sure on the carb tho...

think 39.95 is a number that comes into mind with the funnel headed cartoon guy~

120

haha...so jiffy lube will do it for an oldie?

89,715

A vacuum leak will stall a engine. A stuck PVC valve can mess up the idle too. How's you idle RPM? You have no ECU to regulate the engine. You might have to raise it. --- Stumbling during acceleration from a full stop could be the accelerator pump not squirting enough gas down the throat.

will work just fine. A carb kit will be around fifteen bucks- give you float needle and seat...bang on~

410

Try checking your #1 spark plug, for some reason over the years with those slant six motors, that use to be the issue where the spark plug would become loose on it's own from vibration I guess, just check it out, I am 80% sure that might be the problem.

120

hmm...idle RPM seems normal, doesn't run too high or low, but i don't know what "normal" idol is, since the RPM gage is all "wonky", off by about 8-10 MPH, and everything else is the same too. I can only really tell by sound, and she "sounds" ok. I will check the valves on it.

120

Sweet. I just bought new sparkies...I didn't think about that. And yeah, lately everything is coming loose it seems from all the vibrations...lost a bolt to the alternator the other day, was laying on the frame underneath it. I tightened it up real good, as well as the others too. Thought it might help the stall issue, but nope.

120

I'll be checking in on those carb kits today. Thanks ya'll for the suggestions, I certainly appreciate it!

89,715

As for your oil change, I would take it to a independent shop. The experienced mechanics would like seeing a Plymouth again. They'll look it all over just out of curiosity.

120

I reckon that makes more sense to do it that way instead of JL. They may be gentler with her too... :)

89,715

Ask the mechanics about the stumble at take off. They can grab that PCV valve, shake it and tell if it's good. Look for a fat guy with gray hair. He grew up with carborators and distributers.

120

Great tip, tenspeed... :)

I was going to suggest a guy that smokes a pipe, but same concept, a mechanic who loves what he's doing is what we're getting at~

120

absolutely! My daddy was a car guy, and it's a bummer that he passed away almost 2 years ago so I can't even talk to him about it. It's all comin' back to me now with all your suggestions... :D

45

Nobody has mentioned the fuel pump. If the fuel pump is not pumping enough pressure and not filling the carb enough, it will stall when coming to a stop, when the car leans forward. It sounds like you don't have enough gas in the float bowl.

120

Masonchub66 - You absolutely right! Since I live on top of a hill, first thing in the morning coming down that hill is when it stalls most, without fail. At my previous residence, it was totally flat and didn't do that. Can you tell me what you would suggest to fix that issue?

45

I have an electric fuel pump on mine. Don't go cheap either. The cheap ones are real loud. Buy a good quality electric fuel pump and it shuld be fine after that. Also make sure you install new fuel filters because they could be clogged. Good luck.