coolant leaking near the radiator

Asked by Dec 09, 2013 at 02:10 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Optra

i have recently bought a chevy optra 1.6 2005 yr make as second car wasnt
starting and when the mech arrived he said that the coolant is leaking and he showed it
near the radiator pipe....when checked thoroughly he said that the pipe is fine but the
leak is still going he said put mseal and check if the leakage stops....but he
said if it still does not stop then there might be a problem with the radiator....can u
please give me an idea as in what could be the root cause of it and how much
approximately will the radiator for chevy optra 1.6 2005 model cost us around.....need
help very urgently...please do reply

James Ramond

the plastic cracks sometime and leaks under pressure, replacements are 70 $ to 120 $ don't let it overheat while driving,

thanks alot for the reply......even the mech asked us to make sure there is coolant and keep checking it while driving if not there is a chance of damage to the engine.....but i just wanted to know if the problem is of the radiator ?? should it be replaced ?? or can the mseal fix this issue ?? eagerly waiting for your reply :)

James Ramond

you can try this mseal, never herd of it myself, I like to use the non thick stuff that will not clog the smaller heater core, as Chrysler always used the silver powder on every car going out the door for any minor possible leaks in production ,thats safe and inexpensive, although assuming its just a stone nick, will not seal a plastic tank as for the expansion action.

James Ramond

Im not sayin a plastic tank cannot be repaired with much care and prep. a plastic welding kit from a supplier is a new handy tool, your call!

this mseal is a thick semi fluid kind of substance which we normally use to cover any leaking part...its a paste kind of thing which is moulded and used to seal the leaking hole or a crack and will not effect the expansion or contraction for the car is concerned it has to be a minor leak only...thats the only thing i wish and pray for......i am really tensed about this i am going to the showroom from where i bought the keep you posted as in what happened there and what was the resolution given....and thanks a bunch buddy for the help u are doing.... :) it really means alot to me :)

hey hi.....i was driving till the car dealer's place when suddenly in the middle of the road i realized that smoke is coming out of the bonet so immediately i stopped my car and opened the bonet and to my surprise i saw that the engine was over heated and smoke was gushing out of it......then i called the dealer and he sent a mechanic who cooled down the car for 45mins and slowly drove till the dealer shop and there after raising the engine for around 30mins they realized that there is a very small hair line crack on the radiator.....with normal pressure it was not known....only after the steam was created inside,the coolant liquid was spilled out from the radiator the car is in the shed and he said that he will replace us with a new radiator :) thanks alot for the help really guided me and helped ease my tension....thankyou so much

Rob Wagar

could also be the head gasket... had it happen to mine

How much it costs you for changing radiator.