is my fuel pump failing?

Asked by Mar 30, 2013 at 10:21 AM about the 2005 Chevrolet Optra

periodically my 2005 optra 4 door LS will give me trouble starting. i know its a fuel problem through various trial and error. when i tried to start it the other day, it wouldnt. i had my girl friend turn the engine over while i beat the gas tank and it started. commonly this would meen there is a fuel pump problem. seeing as a fuel pump for this car is upwards to $1000, i want to make sure thats what it is before i jump the gun and buy one. i also have susspision that its loosing the fuel prime. if thats the case, there are 3 sensors that could be failing. has anyone else had the same or similar issues? help!!

261,265

I'd say it's the fuel pump, since you banged on it and it started. It shouldn't be $1000, the pump itself will run $100-$200, change the fuel filter, another $25, plus labor. Get other estimates.

If you have a habit of running the car very low on gas, the gas is what keeps it cool..keep no less than ....say..1/4 tank or more

102,175

What country are you in? RockAuto doesn't list the car under Chevrolet Optra or Daewoo Lacetti.

Apparently Canada~~~~~~The Lacetti was available in Canada as the Chevrolet Optra in two models, a four-door hatchback (the Optra5), and an Optra Wagon,

and from wiki~~~ The Daewoo Lacetti is a compact car made by the South Korean automaker GM Daewoo since 2002.