What's causing the hissing noise coming from my air conditioner?

35

Asked by Nov 03, 2008 at 01:08 PM about the 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis

As soon as I shift the car into drive, a hissing noise comes from the driver's side air conditioner.  I have noticed that the volume of the noise is directly proportional to how much pressure I put on the gas pedal.  Do you know (a) what is causing this problem and (b) approximately how much it will cost to get it fixed?

985

Are you sure it has anything to do with the Air Conditioner? I have an '85 Crown Victoria, and I Have a hissing that comes from my steering column, the amount changes by where I position the gear selector. It's likely a vaccum leak somewhere in the system. I haevn't gotten it looked at however, so I don't know the cause or the fix. Try taking it to a mechanic, they should give you a quote for free...

I have the same issue.It comes from a white plastic part that is located low on the steering column. It is probably warped from age and you hear the vacuum leak.I have not fixed it yet.