Fiat spider electrical

Asked by Jul 07, 2014 at 09:01 AM about the 1982 FIAT 124 Spider

When starting 1982 fiat spider, with key on, sometimes the alternator light won't
illuminate, and the fuel injunction circuit isn't getting power, so it won't start.  Any idea of
which solenoid is not closing?  I replaced the ignition key, but didn't fix the problem.

22,415

Are you trying to fix this yourself? let me start by saying I love the FIAT 124- one of the best designed cars- EVER- and easy to work on for the owner- but the fuel injected ones got a little harder to deal with than the carbed ones- why I own a 1974 124 Coupe- now, diagnosing electrical problems is not easy for the inexperienced- you will need a wiring diagram and a test light- but from this far away, here's a coupla ideas- one: your battery and charging system must be operating correctly- a fuel injected car needs more juice to fire because it needs power to turn the engine over AND fire off the fuel injection- also, it is not uncommon to have an old ignition switch go out- to diagnose and replace an ignition switch is a job for a pro- just finding a 124 ignition switch might be tricky- try Vick in Ft. Worth, they seem to have everything- but before you get focused on the switch, check your wiring with the wiring diagram and make sure a wire didn't just come loose on the alternator or somethin'