Anybody know how to get the clutch unstuck on a Spider?

205

Asked by May 16, 2012 at 08:06 PM about the 1981 FIAT 124 Spider

Anybody know how to get the clutch unstuck on a Spider?  If it's in gear when you try to start it it tries to roll, even if the clutch pedal is in.

935

Jeremy Clarkson, from Top Gear, once famously got the clutch of his Alfa GTV6 unstuck by leaving it overnight with a broom pressing the pedal :) Now, he's no expert but why not give it a go?

205

What a great idea. I'm going to try this tonight.

110,105

Check your slave cylinder to in sure it's fully extending when clutch pedal is pressed. If not check fluid level and for leaks. If all this is good bleed slave cylinder. This often works to regain full stroke of slave cylinder.

205

Didn't get a chance to try propping the pedal with a broom last night. Maybe this weekend. My car uses a cable, directly from the pedal to the clutch arm, so no hydraulics to check. Thanks for the idea anyway.

110,105

Sorry should have read it all saw spider and thought eclipse.

205

No problem. I should have specified.

1,645

IF it is a cable clutch tighten the screw to full at the clutches end and try pressing it if that is not working as well i think your clutch cable is broken or is about to be broken (i had this kind of problem my clutch cable was hanging by a thread literally when i got it out to change it )