Tips on replacing the starter on my spider 20000

Asked by Sep 04, 2010 at 08:04 PM about the 1980 FIAT 124 Spider

Starter went out my spider. We have the new replacement starter but the husband is frustrated with where to start. Any comments or ideas??

75

There are three bolts, the top two are hard to reach. Must be done from under the car if you can put it on ramps or jackstands. Use a long extension on a 13mm socket with a u-joint. There isn't much room between the starter and firewall where the wrench has to go. You'll want to disconnect the wires first. The whole project shouldn't take more than a couple hours, but you'll get your arms dirty.

don't forget the 3 10mm bolts on the back of the starter, take them off first. You must lift the car off the ground and crawl under to get the front bolts (3) off, and you can see the two upper bolts if you look up by the clutch cable and you will see them, the top one must be set last leaving the two lower on loose so the rim on the starter seals right, check this rim before you set the rear three bolts. this is a harder starter than most because you have no room to work with, good luck