Hello. I'm new here and I just bought a 2002 Ford Escape V6 3.0. I need to change the engine oil. The manual says 5w 20. I cant find that in my country. Which oil can I use instead of the 5w 20?

20

Asked by Jul 29, 2010 at 04:33 PM about the 2002 Ford Escape

2,945

5w30 will do.

745

If you have a Ford Dealer in your country, then you can get the correct oil for your vehicle. While 5W-30 will work, it is not optimum for the engine in your vehicle, and may cause increased wear and shorten the life of the engine.

5 w 30 or 10 w 30 will be fine.

2,945

5w30 will do,i had a mazda b-3000[wich is a ford ranger] the oil cap said 5w20 but the ownwers manuel said 5w20 or 5w30.if u cant get 5w30 even 10w30 would also do.my friend has a 2003 ranger with a 3.0L it has 280 000kms and still runs great,all he ever put in is 10w30.lighter oil make cold starts easier and wont affect engin life.as long has u get good quality oil you will be fine.

745

10W-30 will not be "fine" for this vehicle. You need to get the correct oil if you want it to last. If you have internet, or there is a Ford dealer in your country, then you can get the right oil.

745

You shouldn't give people advice when you don't have a clue as to what you are talking about. Are you going to pay to replace this guy's engine when it wears it out? Just because you know someone who did something one time, does not make you qualified to give advice, and I hope the person asking the question has enough sense to realize that.

2,945

your better off using a different grade of oil then frying your engine for not changing your oil.

15

Your motor does not have Variable Valve Timing or Multi Displacement System or those systems under any other name. It is simply an overhead cam V6. You will not harm your motor by running 10-30, or 10-40 etc. As long as you go up, you'll be fine, I DO NOT advise going with lower viscosity oil, that can damage your motor. Cold starts might be a little harder, but going from a 5-20 to a 10-30 will be minimal. If you had VVT or MDS, a heavier weight oil can keep those systems from functioning.

745

10W-30 is not a "better grade of oil". In fact, the viscosity has nothing to do with what makes an oil "better". A full synthetic 5W-20 is much "better" oil than any conventional 50 wt, although the 50 wt might be a "better" oil for an old engine with very loose tolerances. Manufacturers design an engine to use a specific grade and weight of oil based on many factors, including bearing tolerances. New engines have much tighter tolerances that older engines, and a 30 wt. oil will not sufficiently lubricate these engines. Do you have any idea of where the questioner is or the conditions that it runs? Simply telling him that a higher vis is "fine" is irresponsible.

20

Thanks for all the answers. In order to be more specific I let you know that my Escape has a 3.0 V6 Engine (3.0L DOHC V6 Duratec) and has 103,000 Miles. I live in Santa Cruz, Bolivia (South America), the average temperature is 95° F (summer) and 75° F (winter) Thanks again for everything.

2,945

most people on this subject agree,so now u know what u can use.dont let one guy tell u otherwise.

745

Most people don't know anything about automobiles, and you're clearly one of them. You don't make decisions based on what a bunch of fools believe, you make decisions based on the facts. That's what I gave. The difference between genius and stupid is that genius has limits.

9,445

I will have to agree with Charles on this topic. Ford went to a rotary style oil pump and lightweight engine components with the introduction of modular engines. Back in the day, you could use a higher weight oil, change viscosity, and for the most part, all it did was reduce gas mileage. This is not the case any longer. Using a 30wt oil is not recommended by Ford... And using a 40wt oil would be stupid, this will damage your engine... I have personally seen what and idiot and 15W40 can do to a newer Ford engine. If 5w20 is not easily accessible, go to your local Ford dealer to get. Honda also uses the same oil. ALWAYS trust your owners manual...

this is BS,this charles knowes nothing of what he is talking about,nore our resendent pro michle,the 10 w 30 will be fine and will not hurt your vehicle,40 years of experience behind me.I stand to my advice,that is why im concered one of the best here.

745

The BS is shade trees like you giving out advice when you clearly are ignorant. The problem with sites like this is that they allow people like you to post, and build your ego while you damage other's property. Follow these fools at your own risk. I have given you the same advice that a Ford engineer would give you, so who doesn't know what they are talking about?

35

Everything that has low temperature viscosity rating 5W: for example 5W-30 or 5W-40 will work great.

2,945

you call people fools and stupid, this coming from an'' idiot savant' 'i would not call people names for what they post. 5w20 is ideal ,5w30 wont hurt it,you dont need to be a genius to know that!!!!!!!

9,445

That is not true. Please research what 5w-30 means... And please keep in mind that the overall weight of the oil is what provides both protect and can cause damage... The last number is the overall weight of the oil, and is the most important number as this is the weight of the oil at normal running temperature..

9,445

Maybe I don't know what I am talking about. It is not like I am ASE Certified, have 10 years experience as a Certified Tech, the fact that I have my specialization in computer controlled engines -Or- even that fact that I own a newer FORD SUV myself ** Yes that was Sarcasm** Seriously though, I have no problem providing my name because I know what I am talking about. So feel free to use it, but at-least look intelligent enough to spell it correctly. NOW if he uses 30 weight oil in his truck, he will be lucky if the oil pump lasts 100k miles. The use of 40 weight oil (or higher) WILL trip the the Check Engine Light. The newer Ford engines are not the same as the Old School engines you grew up working on. They use ultra lightweight engine internals, a rotary style oil pump and extremely close tolerances. They are not easy or cheap to repair for the garage mechanics as specialty tools and literary materials are needed to rebuild these engines. You can say you know what you are talking about, but from the advise you give, I would have to second guess any advise you give.**TO THE AUTHOR of this post, I will say again, trust your users manual and go to your local Ford dealer to get the oil if you cant find it elsewhere.

2,945

synthetic would be better if he cant find what he needs but auto parts stores shoud be able to order the 5/20 he needs.

9,445

Just FYI: if he uses 30 weight oil in his truck, he will be lucky if the oil pump lasts 100k miles. The use of 40 weight oil (or higher) WILL trip the "Check Engine" light. And no it doesn't take a genius to know that, just an expert in the field.

FYI,you may be ase for 10 years?but I got 35 years being ase,on you with that said 10 w 30 WILL NOT HURT HIS VEHICLE,in your mind it may but it wont,I know about non interference engines and all the tec in them,next you going to tell me im not supposed to run rotela in my big rigs,yes 2 peterbuilts,with the 500 hp cat.to the other who calls people fools,go look in your mirrow,if you disagree with me thats fine,just look in the expert form and see how far up the latter i am,last time i looked,was # 2,beat that.to the owner of this post,sorry it is out of control,use what you want or can get,the 10 w 30 wont hurt a thing.im off this post.

2,945

agreed,this post did get a little out of control.im not gonna bother anymore,it all comes down to what the person his able to get, advice from 35 years of ase experience cant be wrong!

9,445

Well atleast we agree on one thing, Rotella is best for diesel engines. I even use Rotella 15w40 to break in my drag motors, funny enough, crane cams recommend using Rotella to break in their cams.. And on a side note, I enjoy ppl who don't listen to the techs that engineer these engines. I picked up a 2004 Explorer XLT (nicely equipped) two years ago for $5000. Previous owner regularly used 10w30, and with a 120k miles the truck was burning oil (rings on cylinders 5 and 6 were bad) and had excessive lifter noise. I put $500 bucks into rebuilding the engine and 60k miles later, the truck still purrs like a kitten. Last time I checked Blue Book on the truck was $9000.

5

the whole 10w-30 refers to the viscosity of the oil. when it is at normal air temp the oil is a 10w oil, as the engine heats up the oil infact becomes thicker thus the 30 part of 10w-30. it will not effect the engine at all. i am an ase certified mechanic and happen to know that you can use any oil you want and it will not harm the engine at all. it wont cause more wear its just thicker which helps it stick to moving parts in the engine better if it were just a 5w or a 10w. you should really check up on the facts you speak.

10

is use 5w 30 to be safe....

6,675

you might be ase certified but theres no way in hell id let you near any of my vehicles with this advice. oil viscosity makes a huge difference in todays world. its 2010 not 1990. oil technology has come a long long ways. using motor oil which is not the correct weight and viscosity can dramatically shorten the life of the engine.

6,675

oil technology isnt quite the same as it was 40 years ago but some people dont realize that. stop giving bad advice. 10w30 will mess up that engine.

YES I realize that but 10 w 30 WILL NOT DAMAGE THE ENGINE,what is it with you people,I got a 98 S10 2.2 says 5 w 30,all i run is 10 w 30,and after all theses years still running strong no oil leaks,no using of any oil,change it every 3,000 miles,dont even have to check the oil level,when its time for another oil change is on full mark.now im done with this .

6,675

Your engine says use 5w30 and you use 10w30. That's drastically different than an engine that calls for 5w20. Not all engines are the same.

no way,you think i dont know that.

9,445

5w30 and 10w30 are the same weight engine oil (30 wt), just a different viscosity, and act the same when you are at normal running temperature. You are telling the poster of this acct it is ok to use motor oil 50% heavier than what Ford recommends.. So using that dynamic, why dont you run 20w50 in your s10 and tell me if anything happens..

last post on this,hay BIG SHOT,I have run 20 w 50 in it,still no problem,why dont you just give it up,and go play in your water oil...

745

It's really sad how ignorant so many people who should know better are on this subject. There is nothing more fundamental that lubrication tot he life of an engine, and yet guys continue to hold on to completely outdated and down right wrong ideas about something this basic. Then they want to go and get all emotional when you prove them wrong. There is a reason to follow manufacturers instructions. They built your vehicle, and know better than anyone how to care for it.

75

I highly agree with you on this matter. And one of these days instead of replacing a normal part now days it will be some kinda box that has to be replaced. Everything i am learning in College seems to be going that direction. If the cap says 5w20 that is what you are suppose to use.

4,275

The only reason why ford recommends 5w20 is for optimum fuel and to meet CAFE standards (Google it). 5w30 Will do no harm, and was actually used in the same EXACT engine in previous model years of the Ford Escape. 5w30 was also used in the 3.0 Duratec found in some Taurus models.

4,275

If you were so full of knowledge perhaps you would know that this engine used to call for 5w30 before the CAFE standard started.

CHRIS,he sounds like more of a salesman than anything,he dont know crap about what he is saying,he is just showing his ignorance and what a dumb azz he is,he can call me all the fools he wants,but we ALL know who the nut case is,like they say the NUT dont FALL far from the TREE.I just laugh at his post. HAY KNUCKLE HEAD,you know who you are,not am I only ASE certifed for 30 + years on auto,im also certifed on the big rigs,and own 2 peterbuilt,owner operator,I got a simple question for you,on the big rigs ,when rebuilding a engine on one,be it a cat,detroit,cummings engine,what dont you have to do to rebuild it,and what does the oil pan gasket look like.simple questions,lets ALL see if you as smart as you think you are,you good at calling people out,now im calling you out.lets see what kind of worthless answers you can give to two simple questions.

9,445

LMAO.. What are you? A child? Water oil.. LMAO... I had a friend that sounded just like you. Ran 20w50 in his Trans Am. Yet he always wondered why he had lifter tap at high RPMs.

9,445

OOooo OOooo I know the answers....

9,445

Although Big Rig knowledge really is irrelevant for this post...

745

What a completely ridiculous question. Just like everything else you post. Post your name sweet heart. Act like a man, instead of the 17 year old boy that you apparently are.

WELL,what is this,our resedent noob troll cant answer a simple question,what is he even doing here anyway,being a smart azz and crying like a baby,out of GERETOL,old fart,MIKE go ahead and tell noob job the answer.HAY he wants me to tell him my name,since he dont know how to find it,so simple,and yet so hard for a noob as smart as he clames to be,lets put it to a vote,should i post my name or let noob try to find it,I have no problem posting it,lets see if he can find it and let him tell me what my name is,when noob cant I will.OK CHARLES NOOB,bet you cant.

4,275

You are all acting 12....

we are.

10

For the last 25 years here in the hot deserts of southern New Mexico, we run 20-50 (petroleum based oils) in our fords as a matter of necessity, and my fords don't burn oil after 250 thousand miles changing every 3000 miles using 20-50. Recently though, I have switched to full synthetics that maintain their viscosity even in high heat, allowing me to run lower viscosity oils. So far so good with 97,000 miles on my 2005 2.3L ford escape....

25

use 5w30 in winter and 10w30 in summer if money isn't tight try using synthetic

40

This Charles is a frickin idiot my wife has had her 2002 ford escape for years and I use 10w30 and she has never had an engine problem or any other problems with it...you can rant about what you think you know you conceaded a??

LOL!

Without anyone gettin' all crazy or mean with each other.. Can someone please reply to my question? My 2002 Ford Escape isn't a V-6. I'm not the original owner, so I don't have the user manual :( It has 165,845 miles on it. I'm between oil changes & wanted to add oil. What type should I buy? Thank you. Jenn from California

30

From what I've read here, add 5w20 or 5w30. You'll get a little better gas mileage (TINY) using 5w20 but since you have so many miles on it, I'd go with 5w30 to have the oil stick a little better and to better fill worn areas. The "5" in each is how thick it is when cold. The 20/30 after the "w" is how thick while running and warm. Since you have so many miles, a little thicker may be better to fill warn areas. The earlier version of the Escape used 5w30 and was changed to 5w20 to meet some mandate. Who knows, 5w20 may not protect it as well but they had to meet the standard. If your engine dies at 150000 miles vs 200000 miles, are you going to be able to prove it was 5w20 oil that did it :) So, after writing this, I'd go with 5w30.

Best Answer
30

Oh, and I'm here because I'm changing my 2002 Ford Escape's oil tonight and was curious as well. I'm going with Synthetic 5w30. All the best.

20

Thanks for your answer. It was very helpful. I live in South America and considering the high mileage and the hot weather I´m using 10W 30 and the engine is working fine.

10

Viscosity ratings, this is how it works. For Multi-Viscosity oils, the number Before the "W" designates the oils Viscosity, When COLD as compared to the Viscosity of a Cold, Single Weight oil. The Number AFTER the "W" Designates the oils Viscosity When HOT as compared to the Viscosity of a HOT Single Weight Oil. This is how SAE (Society of American Engineers) Rates Multi-Viscosity oils. Now to address which oil to use for a specific situation. The reason one Might (I said Might now, so don't jump down my throat) is to maintain a specific oil pressure at normal operating temperature when there is wear to the point that we now have increased main, rod and cam bearing clearances resulting in lower oil pressure. OK, Now you cal yell at me.

365

Hi Jenn, At the risk of being drawn into this, I would say if you know what oil was put in at the last change put that in. If you don't know go with 5w-20 or change it early so you will know for the future.

20

I'll add a new twist to this. I purchased a 1999 Dodge Neon. From brand new I used 20W-50 in the summer months, in the fall and winter I used 10W-30. I now have 147,000 miles on it and it still runs like new, same acceleration power,and while using the 10W30 I may use 8-12 ounces between oil changes, when the 20W50 is in there I do not have to add anything at all. The heavier oil does not break down as quickly. And as for the CAFE standards that guy is correct.

10

Is there not a moderator on this discussion? I can't believe that it was allowed to turn into the type of bashing that it did without someone stopping it. Unbelievable!! Any normal forum would not have tolerated it.

boys will be boys, unfortunately they should be acting like the men they are supposed to be. You had somebody that needed a question answered that was pretty fricken easy and it turned into a cat fight.

I think the first question i would have asked before i offered an answer was what country are you in, just to get the feel for the climate they might be driving and living in. Or if nothing else just to be friendly.

10

Do not and i repeat do not put 10-30 or anthing else that 5-20 oil in your escape.There is little parts called VCT solonoids inside the engine and if you run a thicker oil these soloniods wil fail and your engine light will come on.Just got mine fixed.$600.00 CDN.