1976 fiat spider with I believe a 1800 cc engine. when I start the car there isd a small amount of blue smoke from exhaust as car runs or a few minutes it gets worse. Oil fill cap is on right cam tower. with it running if I try to remove filler cap oil sprays out under high pressure such as oil pump press. Previous owner had cam towers off and used silicone to re-install. I started engine with right cam cover off and oil immediately filled tower around cam, after I shut it down oil took 30 min + - to drain. Could it be silicone in oil return or tower gasket installed improperly? Also the right cam cover with new gasket will not seal..... when pressure builds up oil seeps out from gasket and into spark plug wells?? tks for listening...

Asked by Aug 01, 2013 at 11:49 AM about the 1976 Fiat 124 Spider

1976 fiat spider with I believe a 1800 cc engine. When I start the car there is a small
amount of blue smoke from exhaust as car runs for a few minutes it gets worse . Oil fill
cap is on right cam tower. with it running if I try to remove filler cap oil sprays out uner
high pressure such as oil pump press. Previous owner had cam towers off and used
silicone to re-install. I started engine with right cam cover off and oil immediately filled
tower around cam. after I shut it down oil took 30 min + - to drain. could it be silicone in
oil return or tower gasket installed improperly? also right cam cover with new gasket
will not seal, after running and pressure build up oil begins to seep from cover and
down into spark plug wells.... tks for listening... Norm

23,065

I would replace the cam / valve cover gasket, clean off all the silicon and look for any desbrie that may be clogging up the oil passages. Its sounds like you have good oil pressure just something is blocking the circulation of the oil.

The cam cover and the gasket are new.....and there is no silicone used when replacing them....I did that my self, hoping to stop the oil from seeping out. I guess my next step is remove the cam tower and check the gasket there... tks ...Norm

6,625

I don't know much about Fiat's but what concerns me is your comment "When I start the car there is a small amount of blue smoke from exhaust as car runs for a few minutes it gets worse." and "with it running if I try to remove filler cap oil sprays out under high pressure such as oil pump press.". This is the normal sign that the engine piston rings are worn out causing "blow-by" where oil is blowing past the pistons and being burned up in the exhaust system, and also that the extra pressure is being built up in the engine block lower end causing it to "blow" out when you take the oil cap off while its running.

5

I have a 79 Fiat Spider and had the same issue -previous owner had cam towers off and used silicone to re-install and oil was seeping from cover and down into spark plug wells. After numerous attempts by my mechanic to fix the oil leak he realized the oil cap seal was old and cracked so replaced with 3 o-rings - packed tightly for a good seal. We thought we had the problem fixed with that but oil still seeped up from the cap and pooled into spark plug wells. I have been dealing with Allison's Automotive in Upland California and I just happened to mention the problem to them when I wanted to order a new oil cap. They said the oil leaking from the oil cap is a common problem they see all the time! They designed a cork o-ring for the oil cap. It cost $3.00!!! I ordered it, installed it and that did the trick - problem solved. After 8 months of troubleshooting that oil leak it was a $3.00 fix. Here's there website: http://www.allisonsautomotive.com/ I've ordered quite a few parts from them (shipped to Canada) and they've been great!

Thanks to all ... I got back to looking at the Fiat again with my son. We found the problem. Previous owner replaced the air cleaner with a bright shinny new K&N one. didn't know what to do with the crank case ventilation hose so he cut it close to the block just above the starter and under the intake manifold. he then put a plug in the shorter hose to block it off. we open the end of the hose and let it breath and every thing cleared up after running it about an hour...again tks to everyone.....Norm 1976 fiat 124 spider 1800