ingintion switch replacement

10

Asked by Jul 19, 2011 at 10:02 PM about the 1972 Fiat 124 Spider

I have a 72 spider when I bought it had key broke off in ignition so found one in junk yard for one and had locksmith key it for me. well does anyone have any tips for exchanging it.??  have paper clip for hole in side to push the spring and turn key on start position suppose to slide ride out.
  don't want to distroy anything taking it out so help

670

Things You'll Need: New ignition switch assembly Wrenches Small screwdriver the steps of replcae the ingintion swith: 1 Disconnect the negative battery cable from the terminal on the battery. Remove the upper and lower steering column covers by unscrewing or unclipping them. 2 Remove the steering wheel by lifting off the center cover, disconnecting the horn wire and removing the retaining nut and washer. Make a mark on the steering wheel spline and the wheel itself so you can line it back up precisely. Pull the steering wheel straight back to remove from the shaft. 3 Take off windshield wiper and turn signal switches by pulling them off as you did the steering wheel and disconnect the wiring. Slide the spacer sleeve off of the steering column. 4 Unscrew the ignition switch mounting screws. Pull out the ignition switch. Disconnect the wiring connector from back of the ignition switch. Simply loosen the tabs and pull it out. 5 Insert your key into the ignition. Turn the ignition switch to the locked position. Depress the retaining pin with a small screwdriver and turn the key to the Off position to free the cylinder. Once it is free, turn the key to lock position and remove the key and key cylinder. 6 Install your old key cylinder into the new ignition switch assembly. Make sure the contacts in the cylinder and assembly line up. Reattach wiring to ignition switch, slide it into place, screw in mounting screws and reassemble steering wheel and switches.

10

thanks I changed the ingnition and had a new key made by a local locksmith..