1971 Spider 124 Gears won't engage while car in on

20

Asked by Apr 18, 2014 at 12:48 AM about the 1971 FIAT 124 Spider

When the car is not running I can shift the gears as normal. No Problem. When I start the
engine, there is trouble engaging the gears. Once running it is stuck in one gear and won't
shift to any other gear.

985

you need a new clutch band

22,415

wow nice car- does it have rust? so the clutch is working? if it's running and sitting still and you have it in gear, the clutch must be working- if it does not move, and you can't get it into gear, then your clutch is bad, or the shift linkage needs repair- these are simple cars and not much to go wrong- your description is hard to understand- but a 1971 Fiat is likely to need a new clutch- it is quickly becoming a classic and will be worth money if it is not rusted- find a good mechanic who works on classics and keep it runnin'

20

Thank you both for the suggestions going to have them checked out. No rust on car. Pam

22,415

My 124-

20

nice what year is yours?

22,415

1974 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe- same car under the skin as your Spider- with no rust your car is ultimately cool- the thin chrome bumpers are the ones to have- they sit lower and look sexier- and truer to the original design than the later smogged and fuel-injected cars- the drivetrains on the 124s are rugged and fantastically reliable- will run forever just make sure the cambelt is changed and all maintenance is kept up- a secret, bullet-proof car that few people know about, because they are too busy laughing at "fix it again tony" while they haul their Kias and Fords into the garage, repeatedly- keep it and put money into it, because it is worth it and will only increase in value- check out my "Garage" page- be cool

Best Answer