1971 Spider 124 Gears won't engage while car in on

Asked by Apr 18, 2014 at 12:48 AM about the 1971 Fiat 124 Spider

When the car is not running I can shift the gears as normal. No Problem. When I start the
engine, there is trouble engaging the gears. Once running it is stuck in one gear and won't
shift to any other gear.

you need a new clutch band

wow nice car- does it have rust? so the clutch is working? if it's running and sitting still and you have it in gear, the clutch must be working- if it does not move, and you can't get it into gear, then your clutch is bad, or the shift linkage needs repair- these are simple cars and not much to go wrong- your description is hard to understand- but a 1971 Fiat is likely to need a new clutch- it is quickly becoming a classic and will be worth money if it is not rusted- find a good mechanic who works on classics and keep it runnin'

Thank you both for the suggestions going to have them checked out. No rust on car. Pam

My 124-

nice what year is yours?

1974 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe- same car under the skin as your Spider- with no rust your car is ultimately cool- the thin chrome bumpers are the ones to have- they sit lower and look sexier- and truer to the original design than the later smogged and fuel-injected cars- the drivetrains on the 124s are rugged and fantastically reliable- will run forever just make sure the cambelt is changed and all maintenance is kept up- a secret, bullet-proof car that few people know about, because they are too busy laughing at "fix it again tony" while they haul their Kias and Fords into the garage, repeatedly- keep it and put money into it, because it is worth it and will only increase in value- check out my "Garage" page- be cool

Best Answer