chevette brake upgrades?

Asked by Jul 07, 2015 at 08:31 PM about the 1978 Chevrolet Chevette

i have a 78 chevette with a 4.3 and i have too much go, not enough
whoa. i have heard fiero brakes interchange. i want to keep the stock
13" rims as it is a sleeper.are fiero brakes a bolt on or do i need to do
some fabrication?

19,815

OK, you must really love your car. Have you considered just upgrading the whole car? How many miles are on it and 1978 is a long time ago.

i do enjoy my old chevette 4 door at that. i terrorize the teanage tuners because they see an old econo box but don't know it's packing a 4.3 vortec.but i do need better brakes, just don't know if fiero's are a direct bolt on.i upgraded the springs to handle the extra weight but it is nose heavy. mileage is 38k

19,815

I see, so, you dropped in a 4.3 Vortec, that car never came with that engine. Only trouble is, it's so front end heavy, it must be very hard to handle on turns. And, the fact that it's so old it doesn't have vehicle stability control not to mention ABS. I'm sure it's a surprise, "wolf in sheep's clothing " on straight line acceleration, what's your 0-60 time? And, your fuel mileage? Did you change your transmission as well? You probably needed to do that to handle the extra powerful engine in your car? Did you do all these special upgrades or did you just purchase the car this way? In any case, you've got a rare bird on your hands and when you go to sell it, it will take a special buyer. At least that's my opinion. Sounds like you're a car enthusiast, and if I were you, I would have just purchased a Subaru WRX STI. Am I wrong? Guess it all depends upon how much money you have in this car.

19,815

If you can afford to modify the braking system, I would look into four wheel ventilated disc brakes.

Looks like some LeMons racers came up with a front brake upgrade for their Chevette. May be helpful for you. Keep on rocking that sleeper and ignore the trolls. Everyone has a Subaru. No one has a 4.3 Vortec Chevette except for you. Keep on keepin on man. http://www.missedshift.com/2012/05/chevette-front-brake-upgrade/

19,815

FestivaDriver, yes, you're right, lots of people have a WRX STI, and for good reason, the car is a very competent sports sedan with a specially tuned suspension for tight turns and high speed. Sure, I've seen people put a 500 horsepower engine into an old 50s Chevy, but, that doesn't mean it's a good idea or it can have respectable road manners.

Markw1952 is a troll. If you aren't going to answer the question, keep your trap shut and DON'T ANSWER THE QUESTION. I've got a 78 myself and it's awesome! ROCK ON GREG!

A CarGurus user (Markw1952) answered a question you are following: "chevette brake upgrades?". They wrote: "OK, here's an answer for you, with all that power for a car that was NEVER designed to have this much money in the first place, maybe you should look into AIR BRAKES. Hey, what was WRONG with my previous answer about four wheel VENTILATED disc brakes?" Here's why.... "Have you considered just upgrading the whole car?" and, " and if I were you, I would have just purchased a Subaru WRX STI." He was asking about brake upgrades to his Chevette, not what your personal opinion of his choice of car or what you would have got....