why did f100 with 4.9 litre engine just quit idling

Asked by May 04, 2015 at 11:07 PM about the 1982 Ford F-100

This vehicle had all emission controls removed when purchased. I ran very nicely for 10 years then the carb was replaced which worked nicely for about 8 months now it won't Idle. The engine has good compression, no burnt valves, new plugs. rotor and dist cap

78,105

Check for broken vacuum hoses first, if they all check good, take the air breather assembly off, then check to see if you can move the carb a little, this is to,make sure there is a good seal between the carb and the intake, if it wiggles then tighten the hold down nuts for now, next get a clean rag and have some one start the engine, make sure you are away from any moving parts, as some one tried to keep it running slowly start to cover the intake of the carb with the folded up rag in your hand, as you start to cover it see if the engine wants to start to idle, this takes some finess to get it right, you don't want to flood it out by covering too much of the carb, any way if it does start to idle somewhat then the carb needs overhauled, most likely got some crud in the idle passages. Have you upgraded your rubber fuel hoses to the new multi-fuel resistant hoses, if you haven't that maybe your problem, your fuel hoses are deteriorating cause of this E10 fuel. And that is going right into your carb.