I have a 73 Ford F 100 that idles but wants to stall when I give it gas at idle or in gearI just put a new alternator and a voltage regulator what could it be?

140

Asked by Feb 19, 2015 at 11:44 PM about the 1973 Ford F-100

Mike 209-450-1826

140

do you think its the fuel pump?

140

it starts up right away and idles but when I try to give it gas it wants to stall out,in park neutral or drive,sometimes I can revv it,put i have to feater the throttle.

78,545

Classic accelerator pump failure on the carb, these are still available from your local parts store.

Best Answer
140

thank you and are you sure its not the fuel pump carburator is pretty new

78,545

If it was the fuel pump it most likely would not be able to run at all, an easy fuel pump test is to unhook the line right at the carb and put on a piece of rubber hose and the other end in a 16 oz bottle, disable the ignition coil, you don't want spark flying around, and crank the engine for 5 seconds, the bottle should be well over half full. When you replaced the carb, did they tell you it was an methanol resistant unit or not? There are still carbs out there that have not been upgraded, most have been labeled NOS but some slip through. When you replace the accelerator pump put the link arm in the farthest hole on the pump actuator lever, this will give you a little more fuel on the stroke, with these older engines running on the stuff they call fuel these days they need all the help they can get. Before I sold my older stuff I ran StaBil Marine in the fuel tanks it really help with combatting the bad effects of methanol and the engines just ran better. HTH

140

cool thanks that help a bit,the accelerator pump is good and the fuel pump is good I think its just a clogged filter I have a bunch of rust in the tank I dumped the filter and found a bunch of rest and then and they just changed it 3 days ago,I think its acting like its running lean culture so much dirt in the filterits not getting a good flow of gas

78,545

Not good, Was there any water in the filter? As it is rust then there are small particulates that get through filters, might be a good idea too pull of the top of the carb and look in the bowl, if there is crud in the carb bowl it will foul out your power valve, ruin your fuel pump not to mention what fine pieces of oxidization is doing to the inside of the cylinder walls. It would be best if you could replace the fuel tank but if that is not possible then take it out and have it steamed cleaned and coated internally. Or you could get an auxiliary filter unit, one that bolts onto the frame, a good one is a little expensive but cheaper than new tank and you can get fine filters that catch the rust particulates but they do plug up until the rust is slowed down. I put one of those on an old GMC I had that had rust problems in the Aux fuel tank, i went through 1 filter then it was fine. HTH

140

no water in the filter just a bunch of rust particles I didn't think it was the fuel filter cause I just changed it I knew the tanks were kind of dirty but I didn't think they were this bad the filter is working pretty good though becausebecause when I pump the gas and look into the carburetor the fuel is clean coming from the accelerator pump

78,545

Fine particles you won't be able to see in the pump stream, they are just too small.

140

okay thank you I'm going to drop my tanks clean em the best I can because I don't have money to buy new tanks and blow my lines out with the compressor and check my bowl I had a cracked fuel line and a clogged filterI changed those out now it's running great,as good as it can anyway with a rusted out tank

78,545

Here is a quick little trick on cleaning out the tanks, find some old nuts 1/2 inch or larger, 6 to 8 will do the trick and put them in the tank then shake and roll the tanks around vigorously, more on the bottom of the tank as that is were most of the rust is located, keep flushing it out with water until it flows as clean as possible, put the tanks back and the StaBil marine as it will help with the left over water and put in the fuel. Good Luck on your project.

140

ooooo nice trick ill do that