How reliable is a 1968 ford f100 with an F-series 300 motor?

Asked by Jun 25, 2012 at 11:35 PM about the 1968 Ford F-100

I'm 16 and about to get my license, and I've always wanted a classic truck, specifically a 68 Ford F100.
Lately, I've been questioning how reliable an old car like this might be. I'm paying for it myself and my
dad has promised to help me work on it and restore it, but I'd like to find one that's already been
restored because it would probably be more reliable. I've already decided that a Ford F-series 300
engine would probably be the best motor, but other than that I'm a bit lost. I've tried researching to
learn more about this truck, but I'm running into trouble finding credible opinions and information.

Mostly I would like to know what owners think about how reliable this truck is, and if it is worth driving.
Also, would an older model be more reliable/economical? If anyone has any opinions or information, or
knows where I might find some, please let me know! Thanks!

6,675

You can checkout Ford truck enthusiasts and fordification.com and fordification.net on the web. All 3 are Ford pickup truck sites with forums and a lot of information. You'll get your best answers there. The Ford truck enthusiast site ( http://www.ford-trucks.com) is for All Ford pickups from 1948-2012. The fordification site (http://www.fordification.com) is for the early trucks from 1967-72. Fordification.net is for 1973-79 Ford Pickups. You'll have to signup (free) to get into the forums to ask questions but if you're thinking about restoring one of these trucks, you'll probably need the forums more than a few times anyway. The 1967-79 Ford pickup trucks are probably the best built trucks out there and the Ford 240/300 6 cylinder engine is practically bulletproof so reliability won't be an issue if you restore the truck back to it's original condition and use genuine Ford parts as much as possible and not cheap aftermarket parts from the local parts store. There are also suppliers like Mac's antique parts, AutoKrafters, Dennis Carpenter, etc. all over the internet that handle nothing but genuine Ford and reproduction Ford parts strictly for those Ford pickups. Just Google (Ford F-100 parts). Cars for sale( http:// www.carsforsale.com) is a good site for finding a good restorable truck to start with (cheap) or one that's already restored( lots of money). You can type in whatever car or truck you are looking for and it will email you an alert with pictures and the info on that truck everytime that vehicle comes up for sale on the web anywhere in the USA. Good luck with your Ford pickup quest. Kenny.

Best Answer

I have a f100 w/300 inline 6cyl 1barr,carb 3on the tree & it is great.has the power to do just what i need it to do.i like it & have it as my work trk,to & from it is GREAT. if your dad helps & gets the motor & trans, to run good the rest is all down hill, i have lowered mine & get a lot of TRK LOOKS GOOD,from people who like the old school trks, Good Luck on your Trk, no smog & ins, will b cheaper,

20

300 6cyl is one of fords best motors.if its been taken care of will work great for you