What do I look at to start getting my truck running?

25

Asked by Apr 12, 2008 at 07:57 PM about the 1961 Ford F-100

Hi,
Thanks to anyone who is looking at this, I am wondering if anyone knows what to start looking at, (special emphasis on START) to getting my truck back into running condition. It is a '61 Ford, V8, and has been sitting for several years. When it was parked, I think the previous owner (my dad)said that it was just a simple carb. problem that made him park it. What a lousy trick huh! Oh well. When he bought it, my grandpa completely rebuilt the engine. So, I doubt I will have to dig deep to breathe the fire in her once more. If anyone can help me, please reply back via this message board, or through my email which is jazzfan84663@yahoo.com
Many thanks,
kid

40,305

Change all fluids, diagnose carb problem, replace cap, rotor, points, plugs, and wires, and you should be well on your way.

35

ignition is below the steering wheel to your left by the light switch

45

Yeah, check the points/mag. Invest in a summit racing ignition and coil asap so you dont have to do this seasonally.

First drain old gas from gas tank,clean out,put fresh gas in,replace points,plugs, wires,distuber cap rotor button and fuel pump,should fire up,oh chain oil and filter & gas filter,then see if it cranks,

4,235

it is a clear case of a faulty ignition system. get it changed on ur car. http://fordfseries.org/1996-pictures/

where the hell did u come from.

45

Well, does it turn over at all? And if it does is there any kind of pop, boom, bang? If not its a spark issue. Clean the plugs and see what happens. That don't work, try a new coil. If that don't work try a new cylinoid or starter. By then you should have all the new starting components that you need. And if the motor don't turn over, its ceased. Which means that its been sitting for a long time and rust has basically welded the pistons to the walls. The only way to uncease a motor is to take the entire motor down, and put oil ontop of the pistons or take the pistons out and sit the inside. Could be many things as you can tell. Just because the motor was rebuilt doesn't mean that it won't cease.

5

LOL..Hahah..that's hilarious!

5

I'd try to turn the engine by hand a little bit, just to acertain that it's not stuck, to begin with. The next thing I would do is try to make sure it's getting gas/spark, as it won't run without either. After it gets gas and spark, I'd write the project a blank check, because it's difficult to say how much it will cost you from that point onward. Good Luck with it, even if you decide it's not worth it.