best engine for a 1960 f100

5

Asked by Oct 01, 2009 at 11:46 PM about the 1960 Ford F-100

i have several idea about motors to put in my 1960's f100. the first one is a 302 H.O. bored and stroked and the other idea is 351 or 347 stroker. what do you guys think about motors?

35

i think one of the best ford motors to put in a mid sized truck is a 351 cleveland. lots of raw power and torque. but then again i have a 302 in my 72 f100 and i love the way it runs

15

personaly I think it depends on what your going to do with the truck. If you want speed, pulling power, or just a show, or cruiser. I am a big FE fan. They are tough, and can pull the snot out of just about anything. MPG really sucks but I have plenty of power when I want it. The other drawback is that they are heavy engines. The 302 and 351 winsors are a good choice for light towing, and you can find damn near any mod you want, which helps with the speed and power end of it. I want to toss you one more option. The 300 I 6. You can get a header, 4 bbl manifold, shaved head, and modify the ignition. I have see more and more of these at truck shows. You and have fuel economy, and enough power to run with a slightly modified 302. If I was building a truck to show (not a trailer queen), everyday driver, and wanted a little bit of go I think I would go with a 300 I6.