Hi all. I am looking to lower a 1972 LTD convertible.

Asked by Apr 24, 2015 at 09:24 PM about the 1972 Ford LTD

Hi all.  I am looking to lower a 1972 LTD convertible.  I saw the posts to remove a 3/4 coil
for 2" and 1 coil could for 3" drop on the front.  Has any supplier started to provide a
dropped spindle or air bag kit for 1972 LTD, or other cars that can be modified to fit?

26,025

Yes, of course- go get an issue of Hot Rod magazine, or Hemmings motor news- the ads will teach you-

1,765

Never cut coil springs! It will effect the ride & rebound. Get lowering springs from something else like a Mustang? Just measure the over-all dia. of your spring or have them special made at a spring shop. I used 4" drop spindles & axial flip kit with C notch on a Chevy sb truck for a 4"-6" drop, & shorty shocks too.

31,635

the reason im answering this question is because in the 70s i had a 72ltd..and yes i took the springs out and cut 3/4 of front coils ,had the 400ci in it and 1 coil from the rear...the only thing it did was make it look better,ride better...cut them with a cut of tool.

1,765

But if you notice coil springs are wound differently. They are spaced closer togeather at the top for rebound, by cutting this part off is not good. The suspended higth of the car is in the middle of the spring where it's spaced further apart. The tops & bottoms are also for the strength of the spring pads or mounts.

Where should I take my 1972 Ford LTD to get it checked?