I have a 87 and it is dead want to know if and ware is the fuse or fuse link

45

Asked by Sep 26, 2010 at 04:11 PM about the 1987 Oldsmobile 442

While i was in the hospital a buddy tried to jump start the car and it set off some sparks at the back on or around the fire wall.Put new battery in and car is dead nothing works at all. Hope someone can help.

11,985

You can thank your friend for jumping the car with the battery cables backwards ... Luckily GM was smart to put fusable links down at the starter. There will be two other red wires down there beside the battery cable going to the starter. If you pull on these two, one or both will break apart very easily as they have fused open. You will need to get these fusable wires replaced. They need to be the same gauge and resistance as the originals.I think major parts stores will have repair "Fusable links" to replace the burned ones you have Good Luck

45

THANKS MIKE YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD. IF I WAS NOT IN THE HOSPITAL I WOULD NOT LET JUST ANYBODY TOUCH MY BABY. ANYWAY I THANK YOU AGAIN

45

that is bad

MIKE IS CORRECT, I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM ON MY 1979 CUTLASS, THE PROBLEM I'M HAVING IS LOCATING THESE FUSIBLE LINKS, ANY HELP ON FINDING THESE NEW WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECTIATED, THANKS DON