my rag joint deteriorated on my 68-442,i bought a new one but it wont go over the the grooved shaft coming out of the steering box easily.How do i get it over the grooved shaft so i can hook it back

Asked by Jan 29, 2013 at 11:33 PM about the 1968 Oldsmobile 442

i just tore the rag joint on my 68 -442 and i cant get the new one over the grooved shaft coming out of the steering box.is there any way to grease it or lube it or freeze it so that it will easily go over the grooved part.ive spread the metal as wide as i can w/o cracking the part. once i get the piece over the grooved shaft then i can put it all back together.i tried to hit it and im just not happy doing that.how do i do this?

100,675

Sorry, I've never had the pleasure. Are you sure you have the right part? Can you dunk the joint in hot water to make to more pliable?

Probably have to loosen the steering box and push it back to replace the steering coupler. These are not expensive.

26,565

I know this is three years after the fact, but as I'm facing replacing the rag joint on a 75 Torino, I though I'd offer this to all others who face replacing this item - the pinch bolt has to be completely removed from the coupler, as the shaft is slotted for the bolt. You can't just loosen it and slide the coupler off. It helps also to loosen the steering box to give yourself more leeway with the column - either that or loosen the column and slide it up out of the way. I found it easier to loosen the steering box, you can leave all the steering linkages intact.