81 Lincoln stalls in drive gears

Carlos Ramos

Asked by Nov 17, 2013 at 11:12 AM about the 1981 Lincoln Continental

81 Lincoln Continental Ford EEC III stalls after shifts into drive gears.  What could  be the

Bad torque converter is my first guess, the other could be a problem in the idle up circuit from the ECM, have you had the emissions systems codes ran?

Carlos Ramos

SHe hadnt been started in a few months. At first she would die at idle, i riased the idle with the throttle kicker, now she purrs nicely in park. I go to shift and she dies on me. No emmissions tests yet, tags bad since 09

Mike Tutty

She's been sitting for 4 years at least. Did you change the gas? An 81 has, I believe, a carburetor on it. You should have the jets cleaned at the least, and probably a carb rebuild done. They aren't that expensive. And make sure you have fresh gas in her.

Carlos Ramos

Shes got the 80s CFI unit in her, two injectors. I have rebuilt that unit. Last night i emptied the tank, then put a few gals of fresh fuel. Same condition; she sputters out and dies as soon as i shift to reverse.

Jack up the rear end and put it on jack stands, Block the front wheels, start the engine in neutral, no brake application place it into drive, if it stays running slowly raise the speed up to around 20 mph, back of the throttle to idle and then slowly apply the brakes to see if it dies.

Carlos Ramos

Ive tried that once. It seems as tho she kept speeding up in drive, she doesnt stutter out thats for sure. Ill try again tomorrow and be more detailed.

Carlos Ramos

Mkay, i tried again earlier today. She starts up fine but when left alone would stutter and die. There is also a LOT of white smoke at exhaust and under the hood. It appears like its leaking somthing at the valve covers.

Carlos Ramos

This is in nuetral of course, she idles fine in Park.

I have a 81 Lincoln town car it's doing the same thing