1979 Lincoln Continental Starts on it own!

Asked by Jan 25, 2014 at 07:06 PM about the 1979 Lincoln Continental

I have a 1979 Lincoln Continental and I have replaced the starter solenoid. After I started
the car it continued to keep turning over even with the ignition off. I had to disconnect the
battery terminals to get the car to stop turning over. I tried to replace the battery cables
but the car keep starting up when I connect the terminals. If anyone had this issue or a
solution I would really appreciate your help. Thank you!

Was it doing this before you replaced the solenoid? If not then check the connections at solenoid. If it was doing it before replacement I would check the ignition switch and starter/ ignition relays.

Your starter is stuck and needs replaced.

Mike Tutty

The starter solenoid is sticking. The cheap replacements that are available, even from Ford can do this. I've had it happen. What I do now is go to a trailer dealer/service centre. They have a 'long term use' solenoid that works exactly as the Ford, and even bolts into the same holes, but it is meant for use on a trailer that is plugged in, so is much heavier duty. They cost a bit more, but are much more durable and reliable. Also, check and make sure that the trigger wire is not staying hot! That is the first thing to check. If it is, you may need a new ignition switch on the steering column. I mean the electrical switch, not the key switch.

Best Answer

Update! I have eliminated the starter and relay as the issues but I have no Idea about the ignition switch wiring. If anyone have a schematic that will be awesome and appreciated or any other way of how I can replace it. thank you all and i really mean y'all been a big help and saved me a lot of money.

Mike Tutty

On the top of the relay there is the trigger wire from the ignition switch. It should only be hot when the key is turned. I think it is red, but I may be mistaken. It is a small gauge wire. I would check that and see if it is always hot.