Why is my Brakelight(Dashboard) on?

15

Asked by Dec 23, 2015 at 07:24 PM about the 1978 Lincoln Continental

I just turned it on one day and this happens. Brakes work fine even when
the light is on. Bled the brakes, light still on. I did mess up on bleeding
the brakes, didn't do it in order

71,335

Were and are the breaks spongy?

18,800

Make sure your emergency brake lever or pedal is fully disengaged if it is on with just one or to clicks vehicle will still move but light well stay on.

15

Checked both of those, that is not the problem, Also took it around the block today My steering wheel just started vibrating, Never went above 50mph & the engine got very hot, radiator hose was expanding and the thermostat was removed.

71,335

Are the breaks solid? Not spongy? And the rear breaks adjusted up to the drums? All this in order, one way to turn that break light off is to just gab at the break pedal quickly 1 or 2 times, not real hard, just until the pedal stops and thats it. You don't force it down any further. The other way is there is a little valve on the proportionate valve that you just pull up. Now, the motor needs a thermostat to control the flow of the coolant. Some motors can run without a thermostat, some can not. The vibration in the steering wheel, is it from the breaks? Or maybe a bad tire, or worn suspension parts.

Best Answer
15

Did all the above, so I'm going to try putting in a new Brakelight switch and buying a thermostat. Will update when I get them.

18,800

The brake light switch will not cause the brake light in the dash to come on when that light comes on either there is a leak in the brake system or the emergency brake is on.