How to get the lincon running

Asked by Feb 17, 2014 at 08:01 PM about the 1978 Lincoln Continental

Hi I have a 1978 lincoln continental
sedan it has been sitting for the
longest time now and won't run I'm
not sure what is the minimum I need
to do to get it running. From what I
can see new battery ,intake, flush oil
and gas and I'm not sure what else
I'm just asking becuase well you
have one so I'm not to sure and how
much would it cost me to fill mine
from empty and how many kms
would a tank get.

Thanks for taking the time to read
this email and hopefully looking
forward to your opinion

Email me at will2214@icloud.com
thanks

39,205

Ok...not sure how long it's been sitting, but I would start by changing plugs, wires, cap, rotor, battery, fuel pump, fuel filter. Just for starters. If after all are changed and it still won't start, re-post and let everyone know what you have done. We can go from there....

Best Answer

Could I just throw a new battery in and see if it would start? Then go from there ? It's in emasculate shape it's like new so I'm thinking maybe try a new battery and see and go from there?

95,245

I believe the very first thing to do is drop the fuel tank and check to see how badly it is rusted from setting, you don't want to pull all of that junk into your fuel system, as it is a 1978 it is not going to like today's trash we call fuel, get some sta-bil marine fuel stablizer as that will help in overcoming the eathnol.

1,335

First, yes, drain the tank. Any gas in there is likely to be more varnish than gas, and that can bend valves. You WILL have to rebuild the carburetor, and a fuel pump is all off $58. You should also change any rubber parts of the fuel line. A new battery is a must, and it may well need all new brakes, and for SURE new brake fluid, as the old will have absorbed too much water over the time sitting. A fill from completely empty is going to be between 20 and30 gallons depending on the tank. Most of these had the 20 gallon but a 30 gallon was optional. With the 20 gallon, if it is all working right, you should do about 350 miles on a fill. With the big tank, about 525 miles. It is possible to upgrade things from there.