1972 Mk IV No crank

Asked by Jan 30, 2014 at 11:12 PM about the 1972 Lincoln Continental

I drove my 72 Mk IV for about an hour then shut it off to look at another car. 5 minutes later I try to start but no crank no start from starter. Lights and blinkers work. I bench-checked the starter and solenoid is good. I replaced ignition switch at top of steering column. Still nothing. Replaced lock cylinder and still nothing. When I tried to turn key I can hear a slight clicking from the firewall. Cleaned all contacts, still nothing. I've gone over everything I can think of. Jumped solenoid on car and motor will turn over but won't start with key.

7,405

Possibly the neutral safety switch. Maybe it will start if you shift to neutral.