My Steering Wheel pulls out about 4" Normal?

Asked by May 07, 2015 at 10:19 AM about the 1988 Jaguar XJ-S

There was a new steering rack installed in car by previous owner   I just noticed that when I pull on steering wheel it starts to pull out about 4"  is this normal or is this a feature to adjust wheel towards driver ?

5,975

Take a good look at the steering column. There should be a large ring around it that your turn clockwise to tighten to lock the wheel to whatever length you want it at. Unscrew it to adjust it in or out

275,975

Normal, I think not

5,975

Yes it is normal on Jags. The steering column is adjustable on them from the factory. This was the system for the 80's