88 Jaguar XJ-S

Asked by Mar 24, 2012 at 03:40 PM about the 1988 Jaguar XJ-S

86,000 miles on it, just tuned up($5800 worth), new alternator, new spark plugs

This guy is a selling me it for 2500,  I feel like this is too good to be true...
COMMENTS???

1,845

I would highly discourage you from purchasing a used Jaguar unless you are: A) Independently wealthy, or B) A Jaguar mechanic, or C) Married to a Jaguar mechanic I would be very suspicious of any 'tuneup' that cost $5800 dollars as well - that's the kind of cost associated with more of a major repair than just a tuneup.

How much do tune-ups usually cost?

"Very very nice new tune up all service records included 5800 worth of work done car is a beauty I really hate to sell but my wife says I must sell 85000miles on it" this is what he actually said

1,845

Ok, that doesn't make much sense to me; either the car was only driven 3500 miles a year (HIGHLY unlikely), or what is likely the case, the car sat for at long period of time, possibly on multiple occasions, while the owner saved up for whatever major repair it was in need of...$5800 was probably wa it cost just to get it running well enough to sell it to the next sucker. Remember; there is no such thing as a cheap Jaguar. My advice to you? Don't be that next sucker :)

How much could I get if I flipped the car though?

1,845

Probably not enough to make it worthwhile. Jaguar's don't hold their resale value well because of the outrageous cost of ownership combined with relatively poor build quality for what is ostensibly supposed to be a mid to high range luxury sedan. ...although, I guess it really depends on how good you are at the whole sales end of things, and how long you can hold out waiting for just the right sucker to come along.

Do you own or have you owned a jaguar?

1,845

I've been a mechanic for 15 years, and I've had several friends who've made that mistake, but no. Personally I have never owned a Jaguar. Don't get me wrong, they're nice cars, but only when they're still under warranty.

Like if everything is in pretty good condition and if i take excellent care of the car, how long would you say until ill have to replace something expensive?

1,845

That's just the thing; there's *no* way to know, except that it'll be sooner than you're ready for, per Murphy's law.

shit haha.it just sounds like a terrible idea

1,845

Well, for what it's worth, I'm sorry. Hopefully I'll have some good news for you the next time you post a question :)