Engine fan will not turn off when ignition is Off

Asked by Jul 29, 2015 at 10:23 PM about the 1985 Jaguar XJ-S

Engine is 2001 LS1 corvette engine.  
Disconnected wire from fan to relay
switch and it Stopped.  Any
suggestions.  Not mechanically
incline yet.  Is it a fault issue or relay
switch issue?

Kelly Mayo

why did you or was it disconnected.. the wire....

The relay is faulty and needs replaced.

Kelly Mayo

it wont turn off till it hits its cool down temp...right...that being said its not the relay as power and ground before relay has to stop...

Best Answer

Hi all. I had to disconnect it Kelly. Bit was only way fan would stop. I had a friend stop by who is more mechanically inclined then I am but he test a few things after seeing the same thing I saw. We reconnected the wire (w/o) engine running and it shut off properly. We then restarted car to make sure that an would continue to work properly after warming up and it did. Is the relay switch failure an all or nothing thing or is this a sign it is failing and will continue to intermittently do this until it fails completely.

Kelly Mayo

sounds like the coolant temp sender ..after you turn of the car..the fan still runs after 10 min?

No it does not. I shut off ignition and it shuts off. I have never heard it continue to run after the ignition is turned off. Now since it has. 2001 ls1 corvette engine in it, I am not sure if that is normal or not. Fan has never run after ignition has been turned off.

Kelly Mayo

well it should..

Kelly Mayo

you have the chevy motor in the Jaguar..either way is ok buy and run a dedicated fan thermostate and set it to turn on and of at / what temps you want>>>http://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automotive-3653-Adjustable- Thermostatic/dp/B000C39C6I