79 ford ranchero GT 351 windsor point set

10

Asked by Jul 04, 2010 at 02:10 AM about the 1979 Ford Ranchero

This car has a 351 windsor in it. and every where we look we cannot find the specs
for the engine..  automatic. We need the specs for the points and sparkplugs, Can
you give me some help?? Thanks Cynthia

10

Thank you I appreciate it. I know he will too.

35

Hmmmmm... Ford...in a... Chevy! Not commonly seen....or done. Anyhow, Ford Motor Company began using full electronic ignitions around 1974, 1975, thus eliminating breaker points. That 351 could be '73 or older. Find a Motor's Repair manual or a Chilton's Manual at your local library, one that covers Fords older than '74. Those books list tune up specs and settings for those older models. If someone installed an early non- electronic distributor in a later engine, I wouldn't understand why, as electronic systems produce much higher voltage, hotter spark and are more efficient

if the engine has been changed to an earley modle you can tear off a piece of a match book to set the points,it works is the same as useing a guage,plug gap is 45.

10

Nooo The pic is not the car with the 351 in it.. It is ford ranchero that has the 351 windsor in it.. I am not an engine person.. I own a 2003 chev silverado.. my friend owns the ranchero. I just like the camero.. :) So I have told him I dont know if it worked. I will find out though. He lives in portland or.. I live in seattle.. lol. Thanks for the suggestions i appreciate it. I guess it is time to upgrade what I do know about engines. Thanks.

trust me it will do fine,I learned that when i worked at ford years ago.nice camaro.

20

.016 for used points, .019-.021 for new, plugs if using GOOD Autolites is .035

185

i love it when people post crap like this,,, they know how to use a pc but dont know how to look things up..........try typeing in.... ford 351 points set.......in the search box.

185

a 79 dosent have points,,, its electronic.............

20

It's probably a 69 motor, but prior to 75 yes. Besides, the question is over a year old.....I'm sure something's been done about it....