car starts won't idle dies when you put it in gear

Asked by Sep 10, 2015 at 09:35 PM about the 1978 Ford Ranchero

when I try to move it dies

18,790

Clean carburetor with a can of spray carburetor cleaner use the whole can and check air filter.

94,885

Most common is an accelerator pump failure, take the air clean assembly off and holding the choke open look down the throat of the carb as you open the throttle, you should see a squirt of fuel going down the venturi with the throttle movement. You can buy these separately but if the carb has not been updated for this stuff they say is fuel then now would be a good time to do so.