I have a 1978 ranchero and can anyone tell me were the Park Control Switch is?

Asked by Jan 10, 2012 at 11:39 PM about the 1978 Ford Ranchero

I need to know were the park indicator switch is on my 1978 Ranchero is.

if you mean the red needle that tells you what gear it is in-P_N _D,is a wire that connects to steering collum has a clip on it,it hooks to collum and moves with it when put in gear,is eather broken or just sliped off,look under dash at steering collum you will see it hanging down,if clip is still attached just put it back on collum,it pulls back and forth for adj.

Thank you Papa for your response. I had to remove the shifter linkage to manually put the car in nuetruel to load it on a trailor for transport. When I put the rod back on, the car will not turnover to start even if you jump the solenoid. I have put a new selenoid, Volt Reg. and starter. The car still will not turnover. It turned over by jumping the selenoid before I removed the shifter linkage when I picked the vehicle. Thank you again for your response. Chill3353 (Carl)

145

sounds like you pulled the nutral saftey wire off from either the starter or on the stearing colum its a white wire, if the wire isnt conected the motor wont start, thats why its called a nurtal park safty.....

145

the switch is at the boddom of the stering colom, its half moon shaped about a half inch thick...

check to see if Netural safty switch is unpluged,i doubt it.when you unhooked the linkage,did you put the car in park manually,if so unhook manually put it in nutural then put shift lever in nutural position then rehook linkage.it should start up.for some reason it has to be in nutural when the linkage is unhooked-hooked up.

I would like to thank each of you for you help! I will let you know when I'm able to crank the Ranchero.