towing capacity of 1978 ford ranchero

45

Asked by Nov 25, 2010 at 04:14 PM about the 1978 Ford Ranchero

anybody know?

8.000bs

45

Can you tell me how you determined this? does it depend upon the engine, transmission, etc. Did any of the Rancheros come with towing packages similar to those in present trucks? I would appreciate your email to discuss or you could email me at tretmk@earthlink.net thanks

anything over will burn up your tranny,the vehicles of yesteryear is not capaple of towing of todays vehicles,if you can read the tag on driver door,it will tell u the towing lbs,which on your vehicle is no more than 8,000.

45

the only thig restricting this towing capasity is your hitch. It is recommended not to exceed the hitch installed, dependant on the class. but never go over the vehicle tow capasity of 8,000 lbs. and a toung weight of 500 lbs unless you have heavy duty springs in the rear and 750 would be max. also a trans cooler would be a good thing if you plan to pull over 500lbs. so pulling a car on a trailer or a camper should not be a problem, u may need load levelers..

45

I have a 1978 Argosy 24' travel trailer. Its dry weight is about less than 4,000 pounds and GVWT is listed at 5,500 more or less. The tongue weight is 480 pounds. Adding load levelers will decrease that and I will add air adjustable shocks in the rear. Is there an after market tranny cooler that can be added to the vehicle? If you can add a link to aftermarket tranny coolers, i would be grateful. Thanks for your help.

you can get a tranny cooler at any parts store,you want to mount it in front of radiator.

45

if you want to buy on line Summetracing.com or Jegs.com here is a link for jegs http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/KeywordSearchCmd?storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&Ntk=all&Jnar=0&Ne=1%2B2%2B3%2B13%2B1147708&searchTerm=trans+cooler I thought I had a cupon but I guess not. youll find any thing in there advanceauto and autozone also have online stores google them.

45

thanks