How Do I Find Out the History of My 1972 Ford Ranchero GT

desertwolfman
0

Asked by Nov 23, 2012 at 04:56 PM about the 1972 Ford Ranchero

I want to find out the history of my car. Where it was built, what original motor and tranny it had, colors, seats, etc. so I can restore it to close to original. Is there a place i can put in the VIN number to find out this information? Any Help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks! cindyhighdesert@msn.com

rgallosalesmanagerattaschgmdotcom
20

best free decoder program I've found http://www.decodethis.com/ may or may not go back to your year couldn't check for you without a VIN from a 72. I know GM has a research department perhaps Ford has one as well (but it'll cost ya)

MrBlueOval
5,675

A VIN check will only reveal a few things about your Ranchero. If you want accurate information buy a Ranchero repair manual. The factory repair manuals will tell you a lot of information and there are many Ranchero books on the market that will help you out immensely when restoring it. Check out Amazon dot com and do a search there for Ranchero in books. My search brought up 274 results. The Ford 1972 Repair manual 5 volume set is your best bet. Here's a couple links to click on or copy and paste it into your browser. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_13?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=ford+ranchero&sprefix=Ford+ranchero%2Caps%2C538 http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=+ford+ranchero#/ref=sr_pg_2?rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3A1972+Ford+Shop+manual&page=2&keywords=1972+Ford+Shop+manual&ie=UTF8&qid=1353811545 Also checkout Dearborn Classics dot com for parts for your Ranchero. Good luck. Kenny/ MrBlueOval

Michael Tutty
7,505

If you want to find out about your particular vehicle, the sure fire way is to get a Marti Report. It costs, but it is a comprehensive report on that vehicle. I believe they have the production information on all Fords going back to about 1968. Nice choice of rides, too. Love that 72 Ranchero. I believe that they were all V-8 engines, ranging from the 302W, right through to the 460 big block Lincoln engine.

Best Answer
desertwolfman
0

Thank you Michael for your information.

MrBlueOval
5,675

A Marti Report is thorough but like Michael said, They aren't cheap they are $15.00 for a basic and up to $260.00 for the elite report. A basic report will give you just that, basic info on your car but that might be all you need. You can find them at: http://www.martiauto.com. You are still gonna need a repair manual set if you're doing any kind of work or restoration on your car. Everything a basic Marti report gives you, you can also get from the shop manuals and you'll have a bevy of other info as well on your car with the manuals. BTW, the 460 wasn't available in the 72 ranchero, you could get a 302, 351-W, 351-C, 400 or special order a 429 but no 460. That engine wasn't available until '75 or '76.

battlinjack
10

I own one of these and the factory repair manuals are invaluable. I have torn my Ranchero down and rebuilt it with nothing else for reference.