Rack and pinion steering

Asked by Apr 06, 2011 at 08:04 AM about the 1971 Ford Ranchero

Anyone installed a rack and pinion into '68-'71 Ranchero/Torino? I have found kits that change out complete front suspension, but at a big price. I just want to replace original P/S box and linkage. I can fabricate a crossmember to mount unit to but don't know which unit is right for rear steer and my track width. Will rack made for '70 mustang work with a little modification? Mine is a '71 GT. Also, can I replace front springs with Coil-over shocks for spring rate and adjustability?

Sorry,but no way.

30

Sorry no way , Bull , I made a new cross member for my '71 GT and used a rack conversion for a '70-'71 mustang from flaming river with just a little modification . works fine and got rid of the original crap that never stopped leaking since it was new .A new cross member assembly with coilovers is available from Heidts also, that will work nicely . And I used a AOD overdrive trans w/cable to make the bloody thing get great mileage . with a 351c and a 2:75 rear end .

Thanks, I talked to the Flaming River people recently in Charlotte and they are working on a unit spacificly for the Torino. Was the unit wide enough to reach the steering arms? Anyway I'm on it, Thanks again