1970 ranchero. Would upper ball joints cause a clunking sound when stopping? I did check tie rods,centerlink,idler, and lower ball joint. But I don't know how to check the upper joint. I had to stop yesterday,6-29-13, because it's just to darn hot out here. I bought this car for my son but now I realize I don't know what I'm doing. My wife informs me of that,lol.

45

Asked by Jun 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM about the 1970 Ford Ranchero

Most of the front end parts are pretty tight. But I gave up on checking the upper ball joint because it just got 106 outside yesterday and I'm not sure how to check it for wear.

here's from an aftermarket supplier...kinda shows your geometry there~

8,615

Upper ball joints are checked the same way as the lowers. Also, if you have done that much, I would make sure you do a front end alignment soon. I guarantee that your alignment is out by quite a factor. It is too bad you already started the rebuild process on a piece meal basis. I would have suggested a complete front end rebuild kit from Performance Suspension Technology in New Jersey. Their kit with the poly-graphite bushings is fantastic. When you get the entire kit, there is a very significant discount on the front and rear heavy duty anti-sway bars.