Will a gas tank from another car fit into a 1965 ranchero?

10

Asked by Mar 16, 2014 at 01:56 AM about the 1965 Ford Ranchero

I'm working on a 1965 ranchero.There is no gas tank in it,and it's almost impossible to find a new one.Especially on a tight budget.I wondered if there is a tank out of another car that can be adapted in.

310

Any gas tank can be installed. Its the mounting thats the problem

31,295

Maybe a Falcon or Mustang.MAYBE. As I recall they were both on the same platform. Also try eBay. Like my dear old daddy used to say. "If you don't go fishing you won't catch any fish"

1,020

Im thinkin its gonna have to be a bigger car than falcon or mustang. Maybe a galaxi or full size station wagon

31,295

Yeah your right. I must be getting old.

19,725

just buy a new tank- there are Ford parts specialists online who will have one- or, barring that, get an aftermarket tank from someone like Summit- why mess with a used tank on a classic like that?

10

Let me explain further.The 1965 Ranchero is a Falcon.It uses a different tank than all the Falcons with a trunk.Those have a tank that goes in through the trunk and becomes the trunk floor.Also the filler neck goes out the rear of the car.The Ranchero tank straps in from underneath,and the filler goes out the side.The standard Falcon tank is available many places.I can't find anyone that makes a Ranchero tank without custom work that I can't afford.I have only been able to find one used one for $400 plus shipping.

310

There..you've just answered your own question! you seem to have pretty much down packed.

19,725

Yes, I get that it's a pickup- and a cool car- that's why I suggested an aftermarket tank- something flat and approximately the same dimensions- for example, there are a lot of racing tanks that are flat and come in a variety of sizes- Summit is a good source- you would only have to modify or fabricate some straps- but if you want it to look original when you look up under the tail, then that's a horse of a different color

21,825

I STRONGLY advise against adapting a fuel tank. Go with a Fuel Cell (racing tank) as suggested and use the safety and security products designed for its use. Safety is #1.

Best Answer
10

Thanks for all the responses.I was thinking of a fuel cell,but you never know where there might be a better solution.This thing is becoming kind of a frankenstien car anyway,so I guess I'll continue in that direction.