I have a 64 Ranchero. How can I tell which 6cyl I have in it, and which trany? The shift indicator has the Cruise O Matic emblem but it only appears to shift twice.

Asked by Sep 19, 2016 at 04:09 PM about the 1964 Ford Ranchero

Curious to know if I have a 144 a 170 or a 200, but don't know how to tell. Shift indicator on steering columm shows P,R,N,Drive,Dot,L Cruise O Matic. Should be 3 speed, but only shifts twice. Evidently the engine and Trannys been gone thru. ie: new modulator, new pan, new rubber hoses on manifold to Tranny modulator ect. Just trying to figure out what I have. Maybe they put in a 2 speed tranny? Don't know. Help!

28,625

if your VIN is visible please tell us the first letter in it? Probably a "U" which is a 170 and "S" for the 144 CI engine, and "T" for the 200....