2003 Taurus won't start

260

Asked by Jul 23, 2011 at 10:59 AM about the 2003 Ford Taurus

My sister's 03 taurus was sputtering. I found that the pcv elbow was broken. I replaced it and now it won't start at all. It turns over as usual and I smelled gas so I let it sit for awhile thinking I had flodded it but It still doesn't start. Any suggestions?  

try disconnecting the battery for about 10 minutes, the computer may still be trying to compensate for the broken elbow.

260

I got it started but it's not ideling properly. Drove it around a little and as soon as I pulled in the driveway it cut off. I re-started it and it cuts off when I put in gear. It also cuts off when I turn on the AC. I'm now getting codes P1131 and P1152.

260

(I'm new at this so I hope I posted this correctly) I got it started but it's not ideling properly. Drove it around a little and as soon as I pulled in the driveway it cut off. I re-started it and it cuts off when I put in gear. It also cuts off when I turn on the AC. I'm now getting codes P1131 and P1152.

Your car is running rich. Could be the EGR valve or O2 sensors, or both.

clean-replace IAC-Idle Air Control,with carb cleaner,is located on Throttle Body,also clean the TB inside with carb cleaner,pour a can of sea fome fuel injector cleaner into a tank of gas.first replace or have the crank sensor replaced,it may be bad causeing a no spark.

excuse me I had a case of the stupid.

260

I changed O2 sensors, still same problem. ideling drops below 1 and shuts off when I turn on ac and now I hear a high pitched whistle, like something closing, when it cuts off.

Do as this papa guy said,he is right on the money.

260

Replaced IAC. It started right up but after ideling for about 10 mins, it went back to ideling up and down. codes P1132 and P1152

Try cleaning the egr and sensor. The idle air control valve won't cause a rich condition and loping idle

Best Answer Mark helpful

could also be a bad throttle position sensor.

could be a bad throttle position sensor.

260

how do I test the TPS?

260

Thanks alot Jeff. It was the EGR.

260

Sorry, I spoke too soon. It idles much better. Hasn't cut off at all, butafter riding around a bit I got the same codes. P1132 and P1152

Check the dpfe sensor on the egr.

260

would that cause it to not cold start? This morning it didn't start right away. I had to try 3 or 4 times.

260

Would the wrong gap on the spark plugs cause this problem? They may have been gapped for the DOC instead of the OHV engine.

plug gap should be the same on both engines.still say it is a bad crank sensor.

O2 sensor remplce bouth and run it for about 100mils,and if still does it.Disconect the batteri for about 15mis. And if not working egr.

1,750

I had this same problem with my taurus, i change all kinds of crap trying to fix, i had no codes to go by, i figured out it was the ignition electrical switch, it was the cheapest and easiest fix out of all the bs i changed for nothing, the electrical ignition switch is located undet steering column, small box with a slide switch, that hooks into the key cylinder, 26 dollar part, took me thirty minutes to fix the problem

35

try opening the throttle a quarter of an inch on cold start and see if it takes off faster. Possible injectors leaking fuel into engine over night

I have 2003 ford taurus that wont starting. I found the air intake manifold have hole that cause wont starting so I have to replace the intake manifold so if u have same problem, check on air intake manifold. That can be trick you.