MOTOR IN MY AUTOMOBILE WILL NOT START

1,435

Asked by Jul 13, 2014 at 06:39 PM about the 1973 Land Rover Series III

ok so I have a automobile and the gas air mixture unit mounted in the valley of my V8 has flames coming out of it every so often and mid tail pipe explosions coming out of the tail pipe the motor will not run smoothly and to get it to tick over I give it full gas and the motor has no power I think the gas storage unit has water in it
I also converted my motors gas air mixture unit to a 6 barrel holley carb with half lifters and performance valve closing springs and larger inlet and outlet holes machined into the alluminum casting.
I am from the UK and have translated this into American so you can understand my correct terminology any help would be great thanks

68,385

Sounds like your timing is off. Check both the ignition timing and valve timing. With it backfiring like that I'd suspect valve timing first. HTH. -Jim