Electricity to fuel pump keeps getting cut off

Asked by Oct 20, 2012 at 12:50 PM about the 1979 Chevrolet Monza

Will drive car and at times it suddenly stops pumping fuel to carbuerator, wait about half hour and retry and car starts like nothing happened, doesn't always do this.  Had oil pressure switch replaced, replaced fuel pump three times, had carbuerator rebuilt.  Checked connections to fuel pump their ok.  Don't know what else to check or do ????????  Any suggestions out there ? ? ? ?

33,375

What is the temp of the engine and how close are the fuel lines to the exhaust?

33,375

And the fuel pump is mechanical if it has a Carb not electric.

The fuel pump in a 1979 Chevy Monza is electric, and yes, it does have a carburetor. I have the '79 Spyder version with a V-6 and I had a similar problem. The fuel line routes very close to the heater hose, and without good fuel pressure, the car will vapor lock. I could hear the fuel pump running, but would still stall when hot. after cooling for a bit, it would run again for a while. Finally, I decided it was time to drop the fuel tank and get at the fuel pump to see if it needed to be replaced. It turns out that there is a 1.5" rubber hose inside the tank that connects the fuel pump to the fuel line, and the side of that hose had ruptured. This was enough to keep the full pressure from the pump from delivering to the carburetor. Replaced the hose, and no more problem.