See below

10

Asked by Mar 06, 2013 at 12:36 PM about the 1976 Chevrolet Monza

I inherited a 76 monza with a missing ignition coil. I installed a new coil, but they cut the connector and took it with them. There are 4 spade terminals on the coil. 2 on the right and 2 on the left. If someone can tell me which side is positive i would be grateful. The coil is not marked. Can I use a multimeter to tell which side is positive?

Are you sure it's not marked? look CLOSE, may be tiny ..or does it even look like this? I found this one as listed for '76 Monza though...

ain't it great that Henry_S stood on someone's desk, and made it possible for us to post pictures...is this a 40,000 standard or 80,000 solid-state ignition type? 76 probably still has points, a mechanical fuel pump and of course a carburetor. an 80.000 coil is probably too much for the standard ignition...would suggest switching to solid state ignition...there are plenty of kits out there for doing this.

I don't know about Chevy but in '76 Ford had no breaker points

yah, just a wild-ass guess...you see my 61 fury had a slant 6 and was so difficult to set the points just pulled a distributor from a solid state unit, changed the coil, and didn't have to set any freakin' points no more~ If what he's got still works okay, what's the big deal how many volts, 6 volt electrical with magneto did not care about no friggin volts.

We could be more helpful if Roy would answer, eh Bob? I need to know if it looks remotely like that one

well we are expected to carry the bricks in our teeth and dig deep into resources for what particular type ignition this model has....I can remember the Monza, as being a 'HOT DOG' and turned heads and looked kinda fast in a small way----so walking down amnesia lane can only tell of my misadventures of setting points, and carburetion, and how a '70s big back pocket comb served to jamb the butterfly open when temperatures dipped below -15...backfired into a huge fireball...was quite dramatic.....crank until dead...easy in the Milwaukee typ.

10

I replied to david via my e-mail and it did'nt go through. It has a 305 V-8. It is a coil with 4 spades, that look similar to the ones mounted in dist. cap. 4 wires. one side battery and start circuit, the other side dist. and tach. One side has shielding plastic inbetween spades. Thank you for responding, Roy.

Sorry 'bout that Roy I did not get it on my end. Bob? Help/? I am getting lost but let me do some research Roy

ooost. sorry. it's these long pauses between activity, one goes onto other problems or finds a buddy to chat with about car stuff- thanks for filling us in on the details...that horrible captcha ***rap is hard to take.

That buggy is a Monster...perhaps monza is a drunken monster...man V8 motor...they weren't thinkin' sleeper...rather a wide-awaker :)

10

Changing plugs is fun. Not many left around, But i could answer all those questions.