Transmision swap

Asked by Dec 13, 2012 at 05:42 PM about the 1965 Ford Falcon

I want to swap my C4 for a Top Loader and install a 9" rear end. I have a 9" out of a 67 mustang (too wide...) Out of
all the 9" housing out there which one is the best fit with a minimum of work..????
Thanks to all

745

Here is the widths of the rear axles (flange to flange) The 64-65 Falcon had a 58" Width as did the 65-66 Mustangs, The HIPO 289 Mustangs were the only ones to have a factory 9" rearend installed and finding one of these is rare, I have one in my 64 Falcon from a HIPO Mustang but I've owned it for over 25 years now. The 1959 Full size Ford had a 57.25" width 9" rear axle which is the narrowest Factory 9" out there. The 77-81 Granada/Versailles, had 58" , 9" rearaxle w/ disk brakes. All these are rare to find anymore. Currie's has a Universal Hot Rod Ford 9" kit with a brand new 56" housing or they can custom make one. Here is a photo of my 65 Ford 9", 28 spline Traction-Lok 58" rear axle

745

another photo

595

malschaf, You asked "Out of all the 9" housing out there which is the best fit with a mimimum of work???" I can think of 3 reasonable options, but one of them stands out as the "Best" for several reasons... I'll explain. Options on my mind are, 1) A custom built housing. 2) a 65-66 Mustang HiPo 9" housing (or reproduction thereof). and 3) a 57-59 9" housing from a ford car. The best option in my opinion is #3. A custom housing is reasonably cost effective as long as you are reuseing your (28 spline) axles from an 8" rear that you already have. A 65-66 Mustang 9" housing is going to be EXPENSIVE. The repos cost as much as an original these days. There are also a few "downsides" to useing this housing that most people don't consider. #1 is that the axle tubes taper down to 2-1/2" at the ends. (Just like the housing that is in your Falcon now). That limits you to useing 28 spline axles. If you plan on useing 31 spline axles in the future, you'll need to get another housing with larger dia. tubes. Also, The 65-66 Mustang 9" housing is narrower than the original Falcon housing. It's 3/4" narrower which equals to 3/8" on each side when installed. This MAY be an issue for you, it may not. Just something to consider. For that amount, a simple wheel offset change could correct for that. By far, the most cost effective housing to use is a 57-59 9" housing. You can still buy one WITH axles for less than $500. As far as width is concerned, they are only 1/8" narrower than the standard Falcon housing...(1/16" on each side narrower when installed). The "Good" thing about the housing is what causes you to make the only modification to install it... It has 3" axle tubes all the way through (NO taper). You'll need to get a differant pair of rear shock mounting plates and U bolts to fit the 3" axle tubes. You CAN use 31 spline axles in that housing if you decide to do that in the future. You can also reuse your 10" rear brakes from an 8" housing. I have MUCH to say about measurements and measureing methods... First, Common practice when refering to the width of a housing is to NOT include any measurements with the axles installed. It's just the HOUSINGS that we are comparing. Several reasons for this, one being that aftermarket axles don't always use the same brake spacing allowance that Ford did, this can be minimal but still misleading. Adding 2-1/2" (per side) to account for axles installed is more or less "Understood", but to speak of housing length it's better to JUST measure the housing for accuracy. Also, axle bearings are not always pressed on properly (even originals from the factory). If they are not fully bottomed out on the axle, this can affect the overall width. Information found on the internet... (axle housing widths), Some of it is correct, some of it isn't. Methods of measuring housings has a little to do with it as does the fact that one site will copy (bogus) information from another site and then the snowball effect begins. At least 5 sites will tell you that a 57-59 housing is the "Narrowest Housing Available".... (it's NOT). Truth is that the 65-66 Mustang housings are the Narrowest, they measure 52-1/4" from the OUTSIDES of the flanges (the overall length). Measuring housings from the OUTSIDES of the flanges to get the overall length is the common way to measure them. A FEW people decided to measure the housings from the INSIDES of the flanges and post those measurements on the internet way back in the early 90's.... that bogus info STILL gets mixed in with the accurate info that is posted...and re-posted...and re-posted. To be specific, Websites list a 57-59 housing to be 52-1/4" wide. They ARE, as long as they are measured from the insides of the flanges. When the OVERALL length is measured from the OUTSIDES of the flanges (commom practice), they measure 52-7/8". Just to ensure that I was "correct" on this and not just going by my memory, I stepped out into my shop and physically measured THREE of them before I started typing this reply. A custom built housing (with no axles) can be had for a little less than $400. You may have to ADD a little to that cost for them to weld on leaf spring perches, and there is always shipping cost to consider. A 65-66 Mustang 9" housing will cost at least twice that (or MORE) and you'll need axles for it also. A 57-59 housing can be found at a swap meet, usually between $150 and $250 JUST for the housing (depending on condition), It's better to find one WITH the original 28 spline axles. The cost for housing and axles will be less than $500 for sure but it will depend on condition as well. No shipping charges involved when buying things "cash & carry" at a swap meet. One last option (for you to consider cost and work involved) You could have the 67 Mustang housing you have narrowed and buy custom axles. Troys picture (I'll use as an example) will show some of what you'll have to do. The axle tubes taper from 3" to 2-13/16" on the 67 Mustang housing so you can use 67 mustang shock mounting plates and U bolts to install it... or (Troys example) you could use aftermarket shock mounting plates that use U bolts for a 3" axle tube. Looks like someone welded some curved steel plates to the top of Troys housing so that the 3" U bolts could be used and fit well. I overlayed a pic of a 65 Mustang HiPo Axle tube to show what the differance in taper would look like if you were to use a 65-66 Mustang 9" housing. You could then re-use your original Falcon shock plates and U bolts if you did that. Hope this helped... Riff

what trans will bolt up to a 64 170 cid, I have a 64 falcon al lstock 2 speed trans is not the stock unit, I cant find out what year it is, will a c-4 bolt up. In the future i will be replacing the engine with a 289 or 302

57 to 59 full size ford. Large bearings with 28 spline axles. Bolts up fine. I moved my axle back 1 and a half inches by drilling the leafsprings. And drilled the leafsprings plates for 3inch ubolts.