63 ford falcon front wheel bearing replacement

Asked by Oct 11, 2015 at 02:15 PM about the 1963 Ford Falcon

I have a 63 ford falcon futura with a bad
drivers front side wheel bearing. Ive worked
on cars before but have never done a
bearing could someone help me find out
exactly which bearing I need to buy and
what tools I will need and also how to
replace it. Thank you

1,555

With the year we will have to asume it has drum brakes, Having said that you will have to buy the inner wheel bearing and the outer wheel bearing, they are fairly cheap, maybe 5.00 each, they will come with the bearing and race (the cone the bearing sits in) Remove the drum and bearings, the inner one you will have to remove the seal first (replace seal as well) then you have to take a punch knock out the old race and install the new one. You should not use the punch to install the race, a piece of brass stock is best.once you install the new race, pack the new bearings with grease and install the inner bearing with a new seal and put the drum on the car and install the outer bearing and washer and nut, tighten the nut to propper tension (do not over tighten) install cotter key and dust cap.

What does it mean to pack the bearings? Like just shove a bunch of grease in them?

1,555

What you have to do is go buy bearing grease, put some in the palm of you hand, in a cupping motion with the large side of the bearing facing your palm rub the bearing in your hand forcing the grease through the bearing. You will see when it starts to come out the smaller end of the bearing