Fueling up a 1963 Ford Falcon

5

Asked by Apr 22, 2012 at 10:09 AM about the 1963 Ford Falcon

We recently purchased a 1963 Ford Falcon. Apparently, the fuel gauge is not working properly because it always shows it is at about a quarter tank, but every time we try to put gas in it it overflows after a very short time.  So is it the fuel gauge or is the angle of the fuel tank that makes it overflow too easily or both? Will reducing the fuel input rate allow for more fuel to enter the tank?  Any suggestions or recommendations?

12,655

The maximum allowable delivery rate for a gas pump is 10 gpm. Some are significantly less as in 2-3 gpm. Try using a different gas pump or several different ones. If you always get the same result look to something in the filler tube Ie., kids put something in there etc. Also can check for a kinked fuel filler tube or the tank vent line kinked or bent.

12,655

Forgot to address the gauge. This is more than likely a bad wire connection at tank or somewhere on that circuit. Or possibly just a bad sending unit.

75

I'm not sure about the '63, but the input for my '65 is positioned so that I actually have to pump up first. If the '63 is like that, then yes, you have to pump really really slowly to get the tank filled up. There are kits which you can buy to relocate the filler neck which helps, so I've heard. ... like this: http://www.dearbornclassics.com/fuel-filler-neck-relocation-kit-falcon-1964- 1965.html

35

Agreed, My 64 was difficult to fill 15 years ago-and we all now how much fuel nozzles have changed since then- I can only imagine it's gotten worse

I would check your fuel gauge,first..-It"s very easy to do-just ground the wire,going to your sending-unit,turn the ignition switch,to the on position,and watch the gauge..It should go all the way to the full mark..if it does,then,your sending unit is shot..if it doesnt-Then,your fuel gauge is ...