1962 ford falcon just died for no reason...

Asked by Feb 26, 2014 at 07:45 PM about the 1962 Ford Falcon

the other day i was driving and i was going about 40 mph when the car just died for no reason... I still had power(electrical) but nothing else. The engine wouldn't even turn on...nothing. just dead. Once i towed it home, it took a little bit but the engine finally turned over and seems to be running fine now...
Any thoughts on why this might have happened??

39,195

Well those cars had the bare minimums back then. You have the ignition switch, coil, starter, alternator, battery. Check your fuses, then move to the coil. When you say you have electrical, I take it you mean that your headlights, interior lights are working? That means your battery is good. I would suspect that your coil is shot. Pull a wire and check for good spark.

39,195

Oops! Sorry, only read the bold type. Thought the car had died and it didn't start again. Sounds like something is on it's way out when it gets hot. Could still be your coil. Does that car have points? Those were notorious for giving people problems.

@reelin68... THANKS!!! i'm pretty new to old cars... I'm learning as i go... so I'm not sure if it has points. I'll mention it to my mechanic friend and see what he says... thanks for the info!!!

@the_siam...did you find what the issue was? My 1962 Ford Falcon just did the same thing. I just changed the coil about a month ago, so that shouldn't be the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.