Why does my car runs out of fuel with plenty of fuel in it.

Asked by Jan 18, 2014 at 07:13 PM about the 1962 Ford Falcon

I installed a new fuel tank and sending unit in my 1962 Ford Falcon.  Every time  I use about 4 gallons of gas the cars shuts off like its out of gas. I know I filled the 16 gallon fuel tank up. I put 4 gallons back in it and it starts right up and runs great until I use the 4 gallons of gas again. Did I do something wrong when I installed the new fuel tank and sending unit? Thanks for any help.

72,435

Could be the pick up tube in the tank is too short. Is the new tank vented and are you using the correct type gas cap? If not you may be creating a vacuum inside the tank making it impossible for the fuel pump to pull gas from the tank. HTH. -Jim