3 point seatbelts in 61 ford falcon, is this possible?

25

Asked by Feb 11, 2013 at 05:26 PM about the 1961 Ford Falcon

just bought a 61 ford falcon, i feel a bit unsafe in it with only the lap belts, Is it possible to install 3 point seat belts in this car? any suggestions would be very helpful

93,655

It's possible - anything is possible. I don't know if it would be safer than what you have. The shoulder belt would be anchored on the "B" pillar. I don't know if the pillar is strong enough to hold a person in a collision. If it came free, it would also loosen the lap belt which would be less safe than having a lap belt alone. -- If you make changes to safety devices and equipment, you might jeopardize your insurance coverage.

Buy a modern safe car. There are bunches of beautiful designs these days, and you don't have to worry about drum brakes, terrible seatbelts and fear for your life for collision. That froggy lookin' IQ has eleven freakin' airbags and is reasonably priced. -or- just pony up and buy a MINI, like myself.

935

what i would do is get a three point seat belt and anchor it behind the drivers seat kind of where backseat passengers would tuck their feet, there should be a bar that would be very strong that your seat is mounted on....your probably going to have to slice ur carpet a but, but your gunna have to drill some where when installing a new seat belt......BUT ANYWAY attach the other two ends by taking off your old lap belt and using the exact same holes they were on, but with your heavier duty bolts that came with the seatbelt kit

Best Answer
935

and i dont know much about the roof on those cars, but if there is a beam that would position the anchor point well and not look totally ridiculous

remove the interior and ready it for some serious welding now. if this is your position. Keep it safe to put it back when we are done building your pillar.

35

Search the web for a RELIABLE source of information from others experienced in dealing with these cars-try tffn.net forums. It has been a while since I have visited the site, so I am not sure what registering requirements they have in place now, but if you own a Falcon this group is an amazing source of knowledge. I know this subject was talked about many times, and with many pictures posted too. You might also try contacting a Falcon parts company to inquire about a 3pt kit.

10

Seat belt mounts in Australia require a 75mm X 75mm section of 3mm plate with a captive nut welded on the underside to mount the bolts to. this is welded (plug & stitch weld) underneath the floor pan. If you have the misfortune to be in an accident you'll be thankful for all the dramas fitting 3 point belts. :)

35

Great point Glen-seatbelts should always be mounted with reinforcing plates. In an impact, a regular nut and washer could pull through, making the belt useless